Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
96GT_PSL
2nd Gear Member

Default fuel cut-off switch

i tried to depressurize the fuel system by using the cut-off switch in the back but i guess the previous owner of the car pressed it and its stuck. its already pressed in. but ive been driving normally for a long time now. so why would my car be running if the fuel is supposed to have been cut off? anyone have any thoughts on this? and also if there is a way to fix it so i can take my fuel rails off?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Mufflers, 4.10 Gears.

way more to come.
96GT_PSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Vehicle: 1999 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to 72MachOne99GT Send a message via Yahoo to 72MachOne99GT
Default RE: fuel cut-off switch

I think teh fuel shut off switch is the connection that you removed unless I am mistaken.

We cut the pressue when I took the fuel rail off of the passenger side.

I think the button *the red one on top* is for priming it or something, I could be way off base though.

All I know is I unhooked the connection on the side, then plugged it back in after completing everything we were doing, and the car took about 2 times to start, after that, it was fine.

EDIT: when we took the fuel line connection off of the fuel line, we just caught what dripped, an ounce or two, in a small plastic bottle, and when I lifted the rail off on the pass side, we got some dripping, but nothing drastic at all...actually, we lost less gas doing that than when I took of the fuel filter
Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
562cobra
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Cobra
Send a message via Yahoo to 562cobra

[sm=hail.gif]well in my vehicle when the button is pressed (down) it means its running normal. take a look at the black bracket where the red button is at and stick a key to jimmy up the button. no force is needed so it wont break. When the button pops up [your car is in "fuel cut-off"] you will need to move the trunk liner where the fuel cut off switch is. I use it alot because i live in a bad neighborhood. I say i rather get broken in too then my Stang bieng Jacked.
562cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The red button is the reset button. If it is in the up position the the fewl is off. Got to take a rubber hammer and tap the box to trigger it.

Quote:
When the button pops up [your car is in "fuel cut-off"] you will need to move the trunk liner where the fuel cut off switch is. I use it alot because i live in a bad neighborhood. I say i rather get broken in too then my Stang bieng Jacked.
you can install a switch to kill the fuel from inside the car. It would help if you get car jacked also. If you want to know how to do it pm me.
oxfordgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT

the fuel switch buttonis supposed to down, when i did my fuel filter i just unplugged the harness and let the car idle for a few seconds

2003 True Blue GT 5spd
-UPR x-pipe
-SLP Powerflo cat back
-Cobra Brakes
-Sniper tuned

Home-made mil's
Brute03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
96GT_PSL
2nd Gear Member

alrighty. thanks alot guys. well it turns out i didnt need to disconnect the fuel rail. i was changing spark plugs but i found out from the how to write up that it wasnt nessecary. so yeah everythings cool. im glad i know how to shut it off now though! it will help since some bad seeds are moving into my neighborhood. i dont wanna wake up one day to the sound of my car hauling *** without me in it!

King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Mufflers, 4.10 Gears.

way more to come.
96GT_PSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/tech/?p=149
oxfordgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT

what you should have asked isif you needed to take the fuel rails off to change the plugs

2003 True Blue GT 5spd
-UPR x-pipe
-SLP Powerflo cat back
-Cobra Brakes
-Sniper tuned

Home-made mil's
Brute03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

the red button is basically a circuit.. in the case of an accident the red button pops out severing the connection to the fuse connected to the "side" of the fuel shut off, thereby releaving fuel pressure to minimize the risk of fire in an accident. you have to take off the wire connected to the side, should have a gray plastic thing you lift up and then push down.

"I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein."

- Washington, D.C., May 25, 2004
George Bush
2002GTAUTOVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:37 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2003, 2006, 2007, 96, cut, ford, fuel, gt, location, mustang, pressure, resetting, shut, shutoff, switch