4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

s/c or support mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

Default RE: s/c or support mods?

ORIGINAL: rainydayracing

Yea, I'm figuring it's harder to save up for a big purchase like a blower (I work in higher ed, so we don't get bonuses) , plus there is the economic stimulus package that's supposed to happen in May, so that's another $600 I'd have towards it.

Do you guys recommend getting a new one?
i would build one, there is a sticky in pipes boost and juice that i would use.. its the best imo, plus its like 1500 that still leaves 1k or so for suspension
Old 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steve0914

Yea, I'm figuring it's harder to save up for a big purchase like a blower (I work in higher ed, so we don't get bonuses) , plus there is the economic stimulus package that's supposed to happen in May, so that's another $600 I'd have towards it.

i would build one, there is a sticky in pipes boost and juice that i would use.. its the best imo, plus its like 1500 that still leaves 1k or so for suspension
Yea, I've seen that. I just don't understand why it's cheaper to buy it all separate? $1500 isn't bad. I'd like to go intercooled, so I'm probably lookin at another $1500 for that...which still isn't bad. I was ball-parking 4-5k for the kit, plus at least $500 for install (plus a tune)

Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steve0914

Yea, I've seen that. I just don't understand why it's cheaper to buy it all separate? $1500 isn't bad. I'd like to go intercooled, so I'm probably lookin at another $1500 for that...which still isn't bad. I was ball-parking 4-5k for the kit, plus at least $500 for install (plus a tune)

because people think that if they make a "package" for you, youll buy that, plus its peace of mind for people that don't know alot... they have everything they need
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

You can always find great deals on used S/C kits. I just bought a P1SC Procahrger kit w/ gauges and a KB boost-a-pump for $3400. I know I've also come across quite a few used Vortec kits for under $2500. Nothin wrong with a used kit as long as you know the other person took care of it. Worse thing that could happen is you get the blower rebuilt for $300. It's all preference though. Do what makes you feel good about your car.

In my opinion, buying a S/C is going to keep my interest in the car and probably never make me want to sell it. If you go with the supporting mods (i.e. bolt-ons) you might get bored of the car and sell it before you ever get a S/C it.

Oh yeah, and you also get to beat on LS1s sooner. [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 02-28-2008, 03:42 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SHO NO MERCY

You can always find great deals on used S/C kits. I just bought a P1SC Procahrger kit w/ gauges and a KB boost-a-pump for $3400. I know I've also come across quite a few used Vortec kits for under $2500. Nothin wrong with a used kit as long as you know the other person took care of it. Worse thing that could happen is you get the blower rebuilt for $300. It's all preference though. Do what makes you feel good about your car.

In my opinion, buying a S/C is going to keep my interest in the car and probably never make me want to sell it. If you go with the supporting mods (i.e. bolt-ons) you might get bored of the car and sell it before you ever get a S/C it.

Oh yeah, and you also get to beat on LS1s sooner. [sm=badbadbad.gif]
awww yea. I forgot about that. My buddy has an ls1 with a few mods (but heads, headers, etc sitting in his living room), and I wanna beat him before he goes all n/a bolt ons. Though my other buddy has a vette that's blown and intercooled (525 to the wheels), so I'm not expecting to spank him...lol.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

here's an idea you probably wont like....screw mods....

pay the car off sooner....you'll save yourself some coin in terms of interest payments....and whatever amount of money you're used to setting aside for your payments can be put aside for mods....believe me...once the car is paid off, you'll find a lot more money in your pocket on a monthly basis....
Old 02-28-2008, 05:14 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT03 TJS

pay the car off sooner....you'll save yourself some coin in terms of interest payments....and whatever amount of money you're used to setting aside for your payments can be put aside for mods....believe me...once the car is paid off, you'll find a lot more money in your pocket on a monthly basis....
deff not a bad idea.. but if i had that kind of money around i would deff go for that s/c..bolt ons can always come after, i got kinda sad with my car cuz it isn't fast enough after some of my mods, but a s/c woudl deff keep you interested..
Old 02-28-2008, 10:06 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

i say blower...4.10s and full bolt ons wasnt euff for me. Plus a blown car is so much cooler not to mention way faster
Old 02-29-2008, 10:57 AM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: avlon06

ORIGINAL: GT03 TJS

deff not a bad idea.. but if i had that kind of money around i would deff go for that s/c..bolt ons can always come after, i got kinda sad with my car cuz it isn't fast enough after some of my mods, but a s/c woudl deff keep you interested..
I agree, paying off the car is a smart thing. I went with a 3 yr loan to get it paid off sooner. The car will be paid off in Aug, and I was planning on starting to save for a blower then with the extra cash, but since I got some unexpected cash, I figure I'll do something now. If I do a blower now, I can start support mods after Aug, which will probably be right about when I get bored with a blower, ya know?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Fobra
Banned

blower rebuilds run quite a bit more than 300 most of the time, but get a s/c bolt ons do nothing (in comparison)

Quick Reply: s/c or support mods?