4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Alright guys... tired of my Magnapacks

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default Alright guys... tired of my Magnapacks

I never really truly liked the Magnapacks from the beginning but I was too poor to change them out. I'm just not a straight through kind of guy. It sounds good sometimes but most of the time it's just re-****ing-diculously loud with my o/r x-pipe and it also causes this horrible high pitch sound inside the car between 1700-2000 rpm. It sounds so sexy between 2100-2300 rpm... extremely deep, but after that it gets high pitched again. It does sound pretty nice at WOT though.

I'm now looking to go back to a chambered muffler with some flow tubes to weld into the Magnapack catback. I found a great deal on some Flowmaster Original 40's that sound amazing with an x-pipe, on a 4v at least. But I've also been considering some Spintech Sportsmans. The Spintechs sound like a cross between Flows and Bassani at idle and lower rpms but when pressed on the gas it sound a lot more like how Bassani screams.

Here are a couple of videos.

Original 40's + offroad x-pipe (too bad he kept it in 1st gear the whole time)
Sportsman's + offroad x-pipe

I just can't stand the Packs anymore, especially in stop-and-go traffic where I have to shift in the spot where it gets really high pitched every time! Doh! I've been good though, and no one can say otherwise! I've gone nearly a whole year with the same catback *gasp*!

So NO Borla NO SLP NO Magnaflow... it's chambered this time!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
ninelives19821
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Alright guys... tired of my Magnapacks

I read alot on here that flows and a x-pipe don't sound good but i have a o/r x with super 44's and it sounds like sex. Just my .02 and im picky about my car Go for it dude you will be happy with it. I do have LT's btw, didn;t know if you hade stock manifolds or not.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
BHMustangGT
3rd Gear Member

I know exactly what you're talking about!!! I've been through the same situation with SLP! At first I had a Mac O/R H with Flow 40's. I later changed to SLP LM1's and didn't like it. I welded some high flow cats into the H and still wasn't too crazy about it. Then I went to an O/R X and still wasn't happy! Finally I took the SLPs off and went back to my Flow 40's with the O/R X and LOVE IT!!! Nothing sounds better than an O/R midpipe with a chambered muffler on a stang!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

Well i love slp haha but i have flows welded in right now in my slp catback haha. But Everyone says my car sounds awesome, its just flows, i want it loud as ***** again but idk. gotta get some damn money.

You wanna trade catbacks?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:27 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninelives19821

I read alot on here that flows and a x-pipe don't sound good but i have a o/r x with super 44's and it sounds like sex. Just my .02 and im picky about my car Go for it dude you will be happy with it. I do have LT's btw, didn;t know if you hade stock manifolds or not.
For some reason, I LOVE the sound of Flows + o/r x-pipe. I like the sound of an x-pipe more than an h-pipe. It just has more overall sound to it and adds rawness.

Colin, SLP catback with Flows welded in huh? What kind of Flows?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
BHMustangGT
3rd Gear Member

For some reason, I LOVE the sound of Flows + o/r x-pipe. I like the sound of an x-pipe more than an h-pipe. It just has more overall sound to it and adds rawness.
It seems like we have the same taste in exhaust! lol.....I honestly don't know why some people say that an O/R X and Flows sounds bad. Being that I've had an O/R H and Flows and now an O/R X and Flows, I know first hand that the X sounds a hell of a lot better and screams like a racecar. O/R X and Flows FTW IMO[8D]
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BHMustangGT

It seems like we have the same taste in exhaust! lol.....I honestly don't know why some people say that an O/R X and Flows sounds bad. Being that I've had an O/R H and Flows and now an O/R X and Flows, I know first hand that the X sounds a hell of a lot better and screams like a racecar. O/R X and Flows FTW IMO[8D]
Same thing with an o/r x-pipe sounding better with MAC than an o/r h-pipe. MAC sounds incredible with an o/r x-pipe but I like the sound of Flowmasters more. I'm just a kid (if that's what you want to call me)withan old school twist! [8D]IMO, Flows come 2nd to none... WITH a midpipe.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

ORIGINAL: ninelives19821

Colin, SLP catback with Flows welded in huh? What kind of Flows?
Im pretty sure the basica 40 series? I had to get my **** inspected and as you can see my old exhuast would never pass, so he welded in flows n cats.

where you live
Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

I'm using a catted X and original flows, and I think they sound good, turns heads more so than not. But I've also heard bassani's and they also sound good just a little different tone. This would be a hard decision. But I've always been all about flows.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

here, to fix your problem, get an H-pipe, i have no clue why you went with an X or for that matter why anyone does.

Quick Reply: Alright guys... tired of my Magnapacks