4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Those that Autocross...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Those that Autocross...

Vic, isn't your car set up for drag?

And with your power mods, you'd better do some crazy awesome suspension work to make it handle even a tiny bit. Honestly with that power I think you're better off sticking to straight line, but that's just me.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:31 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Yea its set up for drag. But the thought of changing it to Autocross has cost my mind.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

The best thing you can do is learn the limits of your car. Try to memorize the course as best as you can. And with each run, learn how deep you can brake, how hard you can corner, and how early you can get on it. Key to autocross and racing is accelerating + cornering + braking as hard as possible through the WHOLE course.

Your best first car mod is tires. Get Victoracers or on a budget Falken Azenis RT-615. The Falkens are almost race compound and stick like a slick. I usually got in the top 3 of my class with the old Falken Azenis.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Well, if you like autocross better, then you can change it. But you'd have to do a lot more work than those guys on here with just bolt ons since you're making so much more power. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head here that is even more than just bolt on and set up for autocross.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:55 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

its possible to autocross a blown centri car... you can control the boost alot more than say on a kenne bell based on your rpms and throttle. if your to hard on the gas in a kb car your gonna slide everywhere. i like to take my car up to deals gap (place on the tennessee/ north carolina border) it has 312 turns in 11 miles. with straight aways and everything. only thing is its in the mountains and if you mess up, your car is gone. ive beat many cars up there in the turns when i just had a strut tower brace, springs, struts, and subframe connectors with rear control arms. i havent been up there yet since ive done the rest but i do know it will take a turn.

With you car???? Wouldn't you be in like a "Formula One" car catagory with that beast of a car you got? lol
nah, i have a built motor but im still n/a so im in the slow mustang/ F-body section. low compression FTL on a n/a motor. lol. it will turn but thats about it. its only probably as fast as an 01 cobra

oh Vic, also if you go to change it to an auto cross car, i would go with the cobra brake upgrade at the very minimum if you dont already have it. it really helps out a ton with racing. my rotors arent warped as of yet with 10k miles on them and probably a couple hundred of that is at deals gap.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Yea its set up for drag. But the thought of changing it to Autocross has cost my mind.

if i where u.. i would swap out for an IRS...
Old 04-28-2008, 12:16 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Yea I already got my Front Brakes Upgraded to the Cobra Brakes, but my rears are still stock GT.

And your car is only n/a temporary right? Your Twin Turbo is in the works if I read your post correctly? Or am I thinking of someone else????[&:]
Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Yea I already got my Front Brakes Upgraded to the Cobra Brakes, but my rears are still stock GT.

And your car is only n/a temporary right? Your Twin Turbo is in the works if I read your post correctly? Or am I thinking of someone else????[&:]
who me? no way man.. not on the vert lol. im done with this car performance wise. full bolt-ons is enough to make the vert a fun DD.

after i get out of college, i plan to adopt a cobra and go broke

if i where u though, i would consider a full 31 spline cobra IRS swap. ppl are willing to do straight up swaps to. if ur wanting to hit the twisties.. thats the ideal setup.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

if i where u.. i would swap out for an IRS...
SRA can handle just as well as IRS. IRS stock is better, but when they are both built, the SRA will handle just as well.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM
crewwolfy
2nd Gear Member

Brakes brakes brakes! I hit a track a few weeks ago. Granted, on a track you use your brakes more/harder, but I was only able to do three laps before my brakes turned to mush on the fourth. But with Cobra brakes, you'll be better off than I was. Still had a blast, though.

And for your first season or two, I wouldn't worry about which class you're in. You're just starting out, so you probably shouldn't expect to place very high anyway. At least that's the approach I'm taking..

But yeah. Along with upgraded brakes, I'm looking at coilovers and new rims/tires. Sticky rubbers should make a big difference.

Quick Reply: Those that Autocross...