4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mobil 1 vs. Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:09 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Whatever gets the job done dude
Old 10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by califas_1987
I liked the K&N oil filter quality a bit more than the Bosch filter, plus with that hex on the case, no worry about it ever being too tight.

that makes no sence, bosch makes K&N oil filter

mobil 1 is NOT a full synthetic motor oil, FULL synthetics are amsoil, royal purple, and redline.

for 99% of people here, a regular syn blend oil and a motorcraft filter is just fine at the recomended intervals, for FULL synthetic, amsoil FTW

and fram filters are junk, cut open a fram oil filter and cut open a motorcraft oil filter
Old 10-10-2008, 11:55 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
that makes no sence, bosch makes K&N oil filter

mobil 1 is NOT a full synthetic motor oil, FULL synthetics are amsoil, royal purple, and redline.

for 99% of people here, a regular syn blend oil and a motorcraft filter is just fine at the recomended intervals, for FULL synthetic, amsoil FTW

and fram filters are junk, cut open a fram oil filter and cut open a motorcraft oil filter
Actually, Champion Labs (http://www.champlabs.com ) makes K&N. They might also make Bosch filters according to this write up: https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/62420-gen-tech-oil-filters-what-to-buy.html

I used to work for an automotive parts manufacturer (specifically seals) and just because we COULD put the same quality design into each part, it doesn't mean we would. Just like us consumers, wholesale customers also get what they pay for. The same quality craftsmanship goes into every part, but depending what the customer wants to pay, different designs are used.

I do agree though AMSOIL FTMFW

Oh... for the fastest drag radial car using fram oil filters, how many miles/passes do you think they put on that engine before they change the oil and filter. If I was them... 1 pass and .25 miles. Most of us on the forums are looking to get 3k miles out of our filters.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:17 AM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

I've used Royal Purple on all my cars, and my wifes BMW, Volvo etc etc. I think the car idled and ran smoother with RP. I can't say I noticed any power difference though. I also use the K&N oil filters in every car. I'll be putting one of those oil filter magnets on soon paired with a magnetic oil drain plug.

One additive I will swear by though is Redline Water wetter. I did a flush and fill with 50/50 (will actually more like 65 distilled water / 35 antifreeze...florida heat doesn't necessitate so much antifreeze) and added water wetter. I instantly after added it noticed my car when heated up was just below the half line for temp, when before adding it, it used to be just past the halfway line. I felt that was crazy that I can add a bottle of stuff and literally see the difference!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:52 AM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Do you know if that water weter also lubricates the internals of the cooling system? I'm not in a super hot area; I worry more about ph levels, keeping the water pump healthy, and avoiding rust in the system.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:00 AM
laserredgt
3rd Gear Member

wow...just caught up all of the reading here lol..i didnt even know that this thread was stil running until now..
thanks for all of the comments guys..
Old 10-11-2008, 02:27 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Oh... for the fastest drag radial car using fram oil filters, how many miles/passes do you think they put on that engine before they change the oil and filter. If I was them... 1 pass and .25 miles. Most of us on the forums are looking to get 3k miles out of our filters.
Do you know that for a fact? No, you don't, so you assume they change it on that interval? LOL, who is doing your fact checking for you? He's not running low tension rings on that setup so I doubt there's any blowby getting into the oil, so I'm more willing to bet they change it after AT LEAST a full event.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

I always heard that you should stay with one brand of motor oil or atleast switch very early into the engines life. You say you have run Mobil 1 for 100k + so I would stay with M1.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:39 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Do you know if that water weter also lubricates the internals of the cooling system? I'm not in a super hot area; I worry more about ph levels, keeping the water pump healthy, and avoiding rust in the system.
Yes it is supposed to lubricate as well. More distilled water, less antifreeze intensifies the effects of the water wetter, but straight up 50/50 makes a noticable difference too.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:08 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ripped camel
Yes it is supposed to lubricate as well. More distilled water, less antifreeze intensifies the effects of the water wetter, but straight up 50/50 makes a noticable difference too.
If it NEVER gets below freezing where you're at I would consider running straight DISTILLED water and watter wetter. I do that during the summer then switch to a 50/50 mix in the winter.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 vs. Royal Purple