4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So, my car thinks its a Ranger????

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

ok question. how do you clear the ABS code? because shouldnt it clear out when the battery is disconnected for about 10 minutes? when i did this before the ABS light remained on as soon as i turned the car back on after reconnecting the battery, i didnt drive it or move it anywhere.

and if i brought it back to the dealer tomorrow with the chip out and asked them to scan it again do you think they would charge me again? what would your dealer do?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WOH HRSY
Not to hijack but I've seen your car domain site, really nice work esp on the diffuser!
thanks man, i appreciate that
Old 10-16-2008, 12:00 AM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

yes disconnecting the battery will clear the abs codes. But if the light comes on immediatly you have a hard fualt with your abs and will come on that fast.
And as for if you take the chip out and take it back to the dealer will they charge you again. They may or may not. My guess they will be di**s and charge you again but it may be worth a shot to call and ask.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 AM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackstallion666
yes disconnecting the battery will clear the abs codes. But if the light comes on immediatly you have a hard fualt with your abs and will come on that fast.
And as for if you take the chip out and take it back to the dealer will they charge you again. They may or may not. My guess they will be di**s and charge you again but it may be worth a shot to call and ask.
what do you mean by a hard fault? like there's something wrong in the wiring? or the module may actually be bad?

this problem was intermittent at first, i found that if i turned right a parking lot the light would come on more often then any other time. i would think that if it was the ABS module that it would either work or it wouldnt. if its wiring where would you suggest me looking for the issue? (where are all the ABS components)
Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 AM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

i took the ECU out and disconnecting the three harnesses next to it and i noticed the pins in the thin grey harness had a lot of corrosion on them. what system goes through this harness? an ABS component by any chance?

the grey connector with the 14 written on it (found the picture on the interweb)

i was hoping that would be my problem so i cleaned it out with a brush and some alcohol, proceeded to take the chip out, reconnected everything and restarted the car. ABS light is still there, traction control switch still does nothing.

does anybody know anyone at gene evans ford (gefracing.com) in union city (south of atlanta)? my next stop is them if my dealer wont rescan the car for me without charging me again.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 PM
vortech01vert
2nd Gear Member

yeah sometimes the chips will cause problems when trying to read codes. had it happen a few times
Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

just called the dealer and explained to them what i found in the harness and that i took out the superchip. i asked if they would rescan the car and see if they can read the codes now. the guy said that would be fine, and i asked if they would charge me again, and he said nah just come back in.

im going back tomorrow morning so, im guessing if they still cant read anything that it may actually be the ABS module? that would suck though.

hopefully the car will be a mustang this time.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:53 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Hey if you actually do end up needing an ABS module, I'll sell you mine for like 20 bucks + whatever the shipping is. I don't really use it on the track
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
Hey if you actually do end up needing an ABS module, I'll sell you mine for like 20 bucks + whatever the shipping is. I don't really use it on the track
PM sent!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

What i mean by hard fualt would be things like broken or shorted wires. Damaged sensor or modules. These problems will cuase the light to come on instantly. Becuase when you start the car it runs a self check and test for these concerns. If it senses a problem it trips the light. Glad to hear they will scan for codes for you again.

Quick Reply: So, my car thinks its a Ranger????