4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Wow this thread went crazy!

I understand the brand loyalty. I am very loyal to RP.

Every person has a different experience with different oils. Some think it's bad, some think it's good.

Apparently since there are some of us that have good experiences, the oil must be fairly decent. How it is I can daily drive two Supercharged cars, running fairly high boost (11.39 PSI on my 07 GT and about 14 PSI on my 03 cobra) and not have any problems?

I think deep down people don't like Royal purple for a few reasons.

1. People can't feel the difference in performance that RP advertises.
2. It is pretty expensive
3. People are biased and go by normal standards;I.E using a universal oil, Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.

There are a lot of factors. But, if you, yourself, your own personal vehicle, has not had RP in it, you can't really relate to those that have been using it for a while. Sorry OP for this thread going WAY off topic.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 AM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

my experience with rp was SMOKE bad at wot (fred/lizzyfan can witness) switched to amsoil and have never had a problem since
Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 AM
R-code17815
1st Gear Member

Just remember every car is different, every motor is different, tolerances vary. Some people wont run it just because Wal-Mart or some place doesn't sell it cheap, some people don't like the purple look. No one oil is gonna make everyone happy, thats why we have so many brands to argue about.

Personally, I've ran it in every engine (car,truck,lawn mower) I have for probably 10 years and luckily never had a problem. My Mach 1 runs Royal Purple XPR with Ford racing filters changed every 3000, I have had the car for over 2 1/2 years without any oil related issues, just my 2 cents.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

You can't run it in A new car with out voiding the warranty, and the back of the bottle itself bears witness that it is not meant to be used on newer cars. it's API rating is out dated.. thats all i was saying. OP, just look at all the facts and make your decision.. either way, your engines not gonna blow up or something.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbauer
You can't run it in A new car with out voiding the warranty, and the back of the bottle itself bears witness that it is not meant to be used on newer cars. it's API rating is out dated.. thats all i was saying. OP, just look at all the facts and make your decision.. either way, your engines not gonna blow up or something.

Royal Purple does not void your warranty. My S/C does not void my warranty. Only if the oil or S/C is the actual cause, the warranty will be fine. Where did you get that info? That sounds like something you pulled out of your a$$.

Also, RP states that it is perfectly fine to be used in New Cars. HOWEVER, they do have a recommendation of waiting at least 2,000 miles before using a different oil in gasoline engines. Also, 8,000-10,000 miles for Diesel engines.

The reason people's engines leak is because of extensive oil deposits being removed can expose marginal or damaged oil seals. Now, if the car already had oil leaking problems, it's not because of Royal Purple.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

I don't care what Royal purple says, they are trying to sell a product.
The fact is the API does NOT recomend using Royal Purple in any car newer than 04.

As far as them having to prove the oil was the problem..believe me, if you have ANY, internal engine problem, they WILL beyond a single doubt blame the royal purple and they have a solid case against you in court. Good luck proving in court that the oil you were advised not to use was not the culprit in the engine failure.. how would you fight against it? Judges aren't veteran drag racers..not most of them anyway.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Just to help the OP out with his original question, the reason someone probably told you not to switch is because alot of people believe that when you switch from running conventional to a synthetic on a higher mileage car, you can become prone to leaks.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
I used RP once once. My car sat for 6 months while deployed and all the valve seals dry rotted which caused me to burn thru oil so fast that I spun bearings and had to buy a new engine. I used regular oil this deployment and the car sat for a year and the car was perfect when I came back.
and thats why im sticking to dyno oil

when i store it for winter i want my valve seals to be good, yes i'll start it and everything but **** it.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbauer
I don't care what Royal purple says, they are trying to sell a product.
The fact is the API does NOT recomend using Royal Purple in any car newer than 04.

As far as them having to prove the oil was the problem..believe me, if you have ANY, internal engine problem, they WILL beyond a single doubt blame the royal purple and they have a solid case against you in court. Good luck proving in court that the oil you were advised not to use was not the culprit in the engine failure.. how would you fight against it? Judges aren't veteran drag racers..not most of them anyway.
It's pretty ironic you say this.

My local ford dealership that I have an awesome relationship with(both of my cars are there quite often and I only go there) they encourage me to use Royal Purple in my Application.

Wouldn't that be against the law if Royal Purple advertised an oil that actually hurts a motor, but they claim it to be the best? How many millions of horror stories have we heard about people using Royal Purple? Not a lot.

Just because you don't like a certain oil, doesn't mean you have to try and convince everyone that thinks about using it to not use it.

How is it I have gone 10K+ Miles using Royal Purple in a Supercharged application and nothing has happened? Luck? Ok, what about BOTH of my cars? Coincidence? I think not.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Sk1tz0
1st Gear Member

Default back to the question

Grabber

i have a 99 GT vert, the day i baught it it had 53k on it. I took it home and changed EVERY fluid and filter in it, and hose, and plugs etc.... I used RP bumper to bumper, including drain and flush RAD and add purple ice. I now have 68k on the old girl no problem daily drive and i beat it's A@# every day!! ps. i still change it at 3k as well and it's my car so what ever!

pps. i have a toyota highlander as well i baught with 100k on it guess what i did to it the day i gots it??? humm thats right RP bumper to bumper, guess what else no a d@m % problem.

so i guess i will continue using RP as so i have on every car i have owned in the last 10y!! and i aint lookin back!!

hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Royal Purple