4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How do I data log?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:43 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Default How do I data log?

How do I data log? I'm a complete newb at this. I have a Xcal 2 and a laptop with the software on it. I'm still getting a small intermittent hiccup at cruise in the lower RPM's.

I would like to datalog stuff like maf transfer and voltage, TPS voltage, front 02's, fuel pressure at cruise, FRPS, cam and crank sensors, and the coil packs.

I also have another question concerning a user parameter in the Xcal. It says I'm able to lower and raise the global spark it certain rpm ranges. I feel the hiccup might be helped with a little more timing in the 2-4k range due to my heads having no swirl damns and not burning the air fuel mixture well enough in part throttle cruising conditions. How will this effect my WOT tune?
Old 04-24-2009, 01:07 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Sounds like you are having the same problem I am. Between 2k and 3k rpms I have a lack of power and sounds like a miss. I get popping in the exhaust between shifts and during decel only between 2k-3k. I have data logged it and it looks like timing is dropping between or too low during those rpms. I have sent it to my tuner and he keeps trying to send me different tunes with more fuel and that only makes it worse. I think I'm about to go to a new tuner if mine can't figure it out by the end of the month.

But to data log just plug in the tuner, select data log, select the PIDs out want to monitor, save the set up, start the car, start the datalog. Then to view it plug in the tuner to your laptop, open livelink, select file then import ....(can't remember all of it) then lelect datalog0 and it will pop up.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:35 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Sounds like you are having the same problem I am. Between 2k and 3k rpms I have a lack of power and sounds like a miss. I get popping in the exhaust between shifts and during decel only between 2k-3k. I have data logged it and it looks like timing is dropping between or too low during those rpms. I have sent it to my tuner and he keeps trying to send me different tunes with more fuel and that only makes it worse. I think I'm about to go to a new tuner if mine can't figure it out by the end of the month.

But to data log just plug in the tuner, select data log, select the PIDs out want to monitor, save the set up, start the car, start the datalog. Then to view it plug in the tuner to your laptop, open livelink, select file then import ....(can't remember all of it) then lelect datalog0 and it will pop up.

The funny thing is it was great before the tune because the new intake leaned it out a little. Plus it's every so slight.

I think I might add more timining between 2-4k and just stay out of wot and see if helps the cruise.

Last edited by jivepepper; 04-24-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Well I looked over my data log again and found out it is tuned in open loop during those settings. No wonder I'm having all these driveability problems. I got sent new tune that changes the open loop point. My tuner told me he tuned it that way because my boost comes on so fast the switch from closed to open wouldn't be fast enough and would run lean when I stomped on it.

I am going to dyno speed in Memphis the first week of may to get it retuned correctly.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Well I looked over my data log again and found out it is tuned in open loop during those settings. No wonder I'm having all these driveability problems. I got sent new tune that changes the open loop point. My tuner told me he tuned it that way because my boost comes on so fast the switch from closed to open wouldn't be fast enough and would run lean when I stomped on it.

I am going to dyno speed in Memphis the first week of may to get it retuned correctly.

What would he do with a twinscrew?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

I know you two have bigger setups but I just put a Vortech on and I get the exact same thing at 2000 RPM only at part throttle.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
I know you two have bigger setups but I just put a Vortech on and I get the exact same thing at 2000 RPM only at part throttle.
I been running an SC on this car for about 6 years and never had a problem until recently and it's mild enough I could live with it but I don't want too lol.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:30 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

That's very interesting, I have zero problems, but my boost doesn't come on that quickly. You guys probably see Max PSI by 6200-6400. I don't until 6800, and it probably builds alot slower too (I believe I am running less boost than both You and OX)

Then again, it might just be that I'm running a different ECM. I'm not sure. That's kind of a weird problem to have, especially two different people with close to the same setup.

Hope you get it sorted out man
Old 04-24-2009, 08:39 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
You got your blower on and didn't tell me? Not cool...It sounds like I might have to datalog and see if mine timing is acting funny too
Old 04-24-2009, 08:39 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
That's very interesting, I have zero problems, but my boost doesn't come on that quickly. You guys probably see Max PSI by 6200-6400. I don't until 6800, and it probably builds alot slower too (I believe I am running less boost than both You and OX)

Then again, it might just be that I'm running a different ECM. I'm not sure. That's kind of a weird problem to have, especially two different people with close to the same setup.

Hope you get it sorted out man
Mine didn't happen until the patriot heads. There's no swirl dam, so it my belief you need to run more timing or a leaner cruise af between 1500-3000. I see max boost around 6700.

Quick Reply: How do I data log?