4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Finally got some money to spend :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Ok I don't know enough about the heatons so please explain what you guys are talking about about his pulley selection.

it's one of two things,

either A. that Idler pulley is too big, and therefore going to spin the blower far too fast (which Is my opinion)

or B. It's too small, and therefore going to cause slip

I believe the lower pulley they are refering to is the idler used to keep more tension on the belt

but I could be very wrong
Old 06-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Houghtown
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
I dont' get why you dont replace the s/c? It would be NASTY! lol. Yout got 7.5K....why not?
^^I'm with this guy. Why do you not want to upgrade your S/C? Seems like an easy way to reach your goal.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
it's one of two things,

either A. that Idler pulley is too big, and therefore going to spin the blower far too fast (which Is my opinion)

or B. It's too small, and therefore going to cause slip

I believe the lower pulley they are refering to is the idler used to keep more tension on the belt

but I could be very wrong
Well I do know that the lower pulley is the one on the crank. So maybe its gonna slip or spin too much.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Well I do know that the lower pulley is the one on the crank. So maybe its gonna slip or spin too much.
My guess would be he will be spinning the blower too fast for it being un-ported. He's probably going to create a lot of heat.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:50 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

Sorry to keep you guessing, but the lower pulley goes on the crank, the upper pulley goes on the blower... and when Guys start getting more boost out of these things, they usually swap one of two pulleys... sometimes both, but usually not these sizes.

with a 6lb on the lower, you'll hit around 13-14lbs boost (or so.. dont quote me)
OR
you put a smaller pulley on the blower (such as the 2.8 or 2.76) and it spins the blower to around 12 psi

Now when you combine the two together... holy crap... you'll be producing around 18-19 lbs of boost on a Eaton!! obviously too much. It wont even work without a good porting, such as a Stage 5 port from Steig... but even then, the IAT's from an Eaton are just insane, its basically a hairblow dryer producing 18lbs of boost!!!

Ive heard of these blowers being overspun, the rotors will actually touch....grenade.. and get thrown into the intercooler..... which is why i think he's crazy!!

OP.. not saying YOURS will do this, but good luck! alot of people go with twin screws cause its an easy swap... but mostly for the effeciency limitations and IAT's
Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Good luck with your Built!!! Why are there not ANY PICS????? 10th Anniv wheels are Sex..

I would spend the Cash on a KB or Whipple kit like said above!! then you could Easily Reach your Goals....
Old 06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

you shoulda put a KB Mammoth kit on there....
Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAD SVT
Sorry to keep you guessing, but the lower pulley goes on the crank, the upper pulley goes on the blower... and when Guys start getting more boost out of these things, they usually swap one of two pulleys... sometimes both, but usually not these sizes.

with a 6lb on the lower, you'll hit around 13-14lbs boost (or so.. dont quote me)
OR
you put a smaller pulley on the blower (such as the 2.8 or 2.76) and it spins the blower to around 12 psi

Now when you combine the two together... holy crap... you'll be producing around 18-19 lbs of boost on a Eaton!! obviously too much. It wont even work without a good porting, such as a Stage 5 port from Steig... but even then, the IAT's from an Eaton are just insane, its basically a hairblow dryer producing 18lbs of boost!!!

Ive heard of these blowers being overspun, the rotors will actually touch....grenade.. and get thrown into the intercooler..... which is why i think he's crazy!!

OP.. not saying YOURS will do this, but good luck! alot of people go with twin screws cause its an easy swap... but mostly for the effeciency limitations and IAT's
Yikes...yeah i think id just be safe a get a KB or whipple! I understand the replacement parts (vent), but if you're wantin power, the eatons are limited. I'd just look into it, and if not its fine.

You'll be wantin it later haha
Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAD SVT

OR

Well said, You've saved me from typing everything haha
Old 06-12-2009, 06:15 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
you shoulda put a KB Mammoth kit on there....
Mammoth = Overpriced (unless its for Racing applications)
but still once you cross the 5k mark for a F/I blower... why wouldnt you just go Turbo!!??!!

Quick Reply: Finally got some money to spend :)