4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Update on supercharger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Default Update on supercharger.

Well about 3-4 weeks after upgrading the SC I noticed oil leaking from the back of the head unit. I sent it back in for what I thought would be warranty work. But when I called vortech they informed me that they need another 600 from me. They told me since I broke a belt that a piece off it ruined the seal. Which caused a leak and ruined just about everything in the unit. They also told me they were cutting me a break or it would have been over a 1000. I never had a problem like this and I have broken belts before.

It was only a small leak and the unit was getting plenty of oil still since it's hooked to the cars oil system. They replaced the seals volute, rear shaft bearing and impeller the first time. It felt really stiff to turn by hand which did make me nervous but I just chalked it up to just having it rebuilt.

I kinda feel the vortech messed up the rebuild the first time and I'm paying for it. I was over spinning it, but no more than a lot of people and no more than I was with the little S-trim that never gave me any grief over the last 6 years I owned it. Even vortech's site said that their head units will exceed the max rpm rating but not at 73% efficiency where they rate them. I have also never heard of a unit having a mechanical failure from over spinning.

Now the only thing that was reused was the new T-trim volute and the impeller. They replaced the gear casing, gears, shafts, bearing, seals, and they're sending me a new oil feed nozzle. They used the HD seals and bearing this time. So basically a brand new unit.

Man I hope it's ok this time because it's such a pain. It's due to show up tomorrow.