4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

To engine swap or not to engine swap... That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Luna Moona
1st Gear Member

Default To engine swap or not to engine swap... That is the question.

Hi, guys. I'm new here and researching information for when I finally obtain a Mustang GT. It'll be my first Mustang and I want to turn it into a beast of a car. Now, I've read that the stock 4.6L 2V engine isn't the greatest or the strongest, and I'm wondering what your guys' opinion is on engine swapping? Either to a 4V 4.6L or a 4V 5.4L. I want to do a twin turbo set up and, ideally, eventually be able to pull 500 break HP from the engine. Tell me of your experiences with the whole process: what you think the best engine is for the job, finding one, the cost of the engine and putting it in, actually fitting it, problems along the way, things like that. What about the stock engine? What are you feelings on it?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 PM
FreshPuck
1st Gear Member

if you're goals are 500whp then doing the engine swap is an unnecessary cost. Just grab yourself and S/C and up the boost! If you want to be safe, go for forged internals as well. In the long run, you'll have the power you're looking for and some extra cash in your pocket!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Luna Moona
1st Gear Member

Well, what are the benefits to engine swapping to a 4V 4.6 or 5.4? It'll be my daily driver. What are the benefits of the stock motor besides extra money in my pocket? How well does the stock 2V handle 500 horse power?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Another S197 guy posting on a 2V

500RWHP with just a blower aint gonna happen. If it did, the rods would go bye bye in no time. You would need forged internals, LT headers, blower cams, and a supercharger to get 500RWHP and on top of that, you might need heads.

Now a 4V makes more power out of the box, has a forged crankshaft to start with and better flowing heads than the 2V. The problem is that they are EXPENSIVE and the aftermarket is EXPENSIVE.

I would stay with the 2V if you are going supercharged.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well here is the synopsis in a nutshell...If you want 500fwhp, then you probably wont need to upgrade your internals because that would probably equate to about 420rwhp which is in the ability of the stock shortblock. But 500rwhp will need internal upgrades. If you want to get to just 500hp, you wont need twin turbos at all. A small single turbo that will spool quick will get you well over 500hp and be quick as heck. You also may need ported heads or at least cams to get there though. But i wouldnt suggest a motor swap for what you want to accomplish. I mean with a 4v, it would be able to be made with less boost but i think cost effectiveness, the 2v, for what you want to do is more than sufficient. A small single turbo, intercooler, fuel upgrades necessary, intake manifold, built shortblock, turbo cams, and maybe ported heads would get you probably over 600, depending on how much boost you choose to run. So just stick with a 2v if thats what you end up getting.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by JC316
Another S197 guy posting on a 2V
No law against that
Old 11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Luna Moona
1st Gear Member

Hey, thanks for the replies, guys. I don't want a racing car. More of a daily driver that's fast, fun, and can show people who's boss when I need to. From what I'm hearing, the 2V WILL probably be sufficient for what I want. I'll probably be taking Teej's advice on possible things to do. A smaller, single turbo, engine internals, cams, heads, yadda yadda. I don't plan to take it on the drag strip or anything.

I also want to upgrade the suspension, get a bitching sound system, probably a Saleen body kit and black Saleen rims. ;D

Of course that's not all, but that's the basis.

Last edited by Luna Moona; 11-18-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Sounds decent man. Check out hellionpowersystems.com for a turbo kit that will get you to around 430rwhp with just what the kit comes with. Thats the same turbo kit i plan on getting eventually, or an on3performance kit just cus its cheaper and not much to go wrong with the turbo kit itself other than the turbo and you can get master power or turbonetics turbos as an upgrade. But hellion is where its at. My plans include built bottom end, 10:1 compression(or there about), ported heads/trickflow heads, turbo cams, fuel upgrades, single 62 or 66mm turbo with ball bearing upgrade, edelbrock intake manifold and such, and im probably forgetting some things. But you get the jist. Hoping for like 500-550rwhp but that might not be realistic.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Luna Moona
1st Gear Member

Screw reality! Anything's possible. I think you'll have one amazing car when you're finished. Thanks for the link for the turbo kit!

Oh, by the by, I AM a woman.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

After being in the mustang scene for years now, iv come to the conclusion that the 4v swap is more trouble than its worth. You add up all the money for the motor and nickel/dime charges and you could have bought a supercharger for your 2v by the time your done and be at 400+.

The way I see it now. I already have a car with a perfectly working motor. Why spend money to be at what 260-280 to the wheels when my car is already at around 265 and will be to 300 after the cams? Just build what you got is my .02.

Quick Reply: To engine swap or not to engine swap... That is the question.