4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

AFTER EXHAUST AND CAI NO GAIN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:19 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

Default AFTER EXHAUST AND CAI NO GAIN?

I recently bought a am cai and magnaflow catback and to tell the truth I really dont feel anythin in fact it seems a tad slower is it all in my head or whats goin?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:53 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

If you got an exhaust leak now that could hurt you. But im guessing everything is installed well. Was it a cheaper CAI? Also Out of a CAI and catback you wont feel a huge diffrence. Its not like bolting those 2 parts on will throw you back in your seat. But id guess its all in your head. Your probably about 15-20 hp better then you were before. A great add on after catback and CAI is a tuner that will really wake your engine up and get the most out of the intake and exhaust. The stock tune doesnt take advantage of them.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:53 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

you needed to have it dynoed before and after to see what if anything you have gained. the seat of the pants method of estimating power gain doesnt work. unless you add a blower.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

^+1 for a dyno and tune, get Gears and you'll notice those lol, and if you finish the exhaust you'll notice the gains.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Sometimes it's hard to actually feel only a few hp.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:38 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

lol at 20hp

cai and catback is maybe 5hp at the crank...theres no way you would feel that..longtubes, midpipe, catback is good like 5-7 wheel, and even that i doubt you would feel...

CAI's are a crock...your factory airbox was already a CAI
Old 11-21-2009, 11:23 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Exhaust (the OEM exhaust is rather restrictive), tuner (the OEM tune sucks), gears--in that order; that way you already have the tuner to fix the speedometer.

Then an aftermarket TB and plenum (plenum 1st if you are on a budget), UDPs, and other stuff. The OEM intake is pretty good, there's really no point in changing it unless you go with a JLT or on of the JLT clones...
Old 11-21-2009, 11:40 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

When I installed my catback I didn't notice a difference, only in sound I did. I just bought a K&N drop in instead of a CAI because everyone on here says it isn't worth it and noticed that just a little gain with the K&N. When you put new headers and midpipe on you will notice a difference as Cliff said the stock exhaust is very restrictive (horrible headers + 4 cats = junk).
Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Welcome to owning a low Compression Ratio, low displacement V8.

You already had a Cold Air Intake from the factory, so no gains there aside from a little visual flash.

Catbacks alone are worth 5RWHP on a good day.

Also...with the catbacks you will lose a little bit of low-end torque because you dont have as much back pressure in your exhaust at lower RPMs but they will open up in the high end and are definitely worth it.

You need to buy a tuner and 3.73s or 4.10s and then STOP spending money on bolt-ons and start saving for a supercharger. Unless your just as interested in handling/appearance as you are in speed. Take it from us please, weve been there and made those mistakes. Its cheaper to get 400RWHP with a supercharger than to get 320+RWHP without forced induction on 99-04 Mustangs.

Last edited by Hangwire; 11-21-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:19 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
lol at 20hp

cai and catback is maybe 5hp at the crank...theres no way you would feel that..longtubes, midpipe, catback is good like 5-7 wheel, and even that i doubt you would feel...

CAI's are a crock...your factory airbox was already a CAI

this.

catback = for sound
intake = profit for companies because people dont know any better.

Quick Reply: AFTER EXHAUST AND CAI NO GAIN?