4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Reputable Aftermarket Parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Terminal_GT

Default Reputable Aftermarket Parts

Hey whats up, I have about 15k to drop on a car and I'm buying a 2004 Mustang GT whenever I can come across a good deal.

I was wondering if theres any companies that have a reputation for good qualitly aftermarket performance parts that dont break the bank.

Im going to be using this car as a daily driver so Im looking to get parts that will boost my MPG as well as performance. Especially need some good brakes to stop my baby in good time if **** goes wrong.

Also not sure if I want to drop a turbo or supercharger in it, would it cause more wear and tear on the engine ?

Any suggestions, or information on anything will be appreciated.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:16 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

Hows it going man. First thing you got to do is figure out what kind of money your willing to spend and what your really trying to get out of it. As with anything with auto parts you get what you pay for. But im not saying you cant get some good parts cheaper then others. Most people start with getting a cold air intake. It wont improve MPG really but it will give you a few extra hp. Also exhaust is good. Again wont help the MPG alot if any but youll get another few HP and your car will start sounding like a beast. One part that you can really feel for the low cost is a set of gears. Depending on what you go with it will hurt your highway driving MPG though. Those are just a couple ideas tell us what your looking to get out of the car and a budget and someone can help alot more.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:40 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

CAI wont net you alot of HP, some say its useless and do it for the looks. the stock setup is fine for a DD.

but if you want to make a diff id do:

throttle body/plenum
tune
exhaust (start with midpipe and catback then maybe go longtubes if desired)
gears (3.73 or 4.10)
shhort throw shifter(get rid of that crappy stock shifter if your gong manual)

that setup will wake the car up over stock, but dont expect crazy gains just because its a mustang.

welcome and goodluck
Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Idk if you are really set on an '04 GT, but with 15 grand I would suggest looking into a Mach 1 or a 99/01 Cobra. They have 4V engines instead of the 2V in a Mustang GT. They will respond to any mods you want to put on them much better than a GT will. More bang for the buck and they are still great DDs
Old 12-26-2009, 05:58 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

As far as a good site go american muscle, that seems to be the best imo
Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

go with 4.10's 1st!
Old 12-26-2009, 07:43 PM
StripeyGT
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

I like your choice of Mustang

I'd recommend American Muscle because 1) they support this board 2) they have free shipping & 3) they have great prices. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from them without any issues. If you PM AMNick, he may give the board discount code too (can't post it, sorry).

As for brands, I think you can't really go wrong with FRPP or Steeda. There are other brands as well that are very good.

Post pics when you get your car.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

If you live in a place where it snows and there is salt on the roads, make sure you go with a full stainless steel exhaust.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

I'm in your same situation Daily Driver not trying to blow up my engine and trying to save some fuel. That usually leaves you with only bolt ons. Some bolt ons are not worth the money IMO. I'd say to check out americanmuscle.com they have alot of really good deals. First off snag up a drop in K&N Air filter and replace your stock paper filter thats gonna be alot less expensive that a full CAI and you see the same gains. Open up the exhaust I'd recommend a set of longtubes I hear you'll feel a pretty big difference and save some fuel. The two biggest things for a bolt on in my opinion would be gears (4.10's or 3.73's) and a good tune. My 4.10s are my favorite mod so far they barely hurt my gas milage. If your left craving more after that I'd say do a 100 shot of nitrous with a good plate kit and cross your fingers . Good luck with all your upgrades let us know what you decide!
Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Just deal with good reputable sites such as american muscle, maximum motorsports, and other great companies. A lot of our site's sponsors are very good companies to deal with...and they probably offer member discounts for being a member on this forum. But whatever mustang you do get, here is what you should do...

1. Gears(3.73-4.10 gears are going to be good)
2. Exhaust(if you think you'll want headers, do them right out of the gate and do everything at once. also take into consideration if you need to have emissions done on a regular basis.)
3. Tune and tb/plenum combo
4. Short throw shifter
5. Lowering springs with caster/camber plates
6. (if not already done)Wheels and tires
7. Then knock yourself out with visual mods and then power.

I am not going to argue one way or the other with the very controversial mods like gears, springs, and shifters because you can find info and this thread doesnt need to be cluttered up by that mindless banter that other threads are already full of. Now the question about the supercharger and turbocharger adding stress...technically yes, either of those will add stress to the motor. Now our stock motors are very capable for most enthusiasts and can handle 400rwhp on a daily basis. But much higher than that, you are in dangerous waters. So will the added stress up to that point make much difference, not much at all. But past there, be cautious.

But anyways, good luck with the search. This is the perfect time to be buying a stang with the market low and it being in the dead of winter. Post up with anymore questions and keep us updated with whats going on with you and your search.

Quick Reply: Reputable Aftermarket Parts