4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help me spend my Tax Refund

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:02 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default Help me spend my Tax Refund

Setting aside roughly 600 bucks for some engine mods. Looking for some advise on getting the best bang for my buck.

Was leaning on Comp Cams stage 2 cams with Ford Racing 3.73 rear gears. Love the lopey idle but what HP gains should I expect?

Or, was also looking into a nitrous system. Americanmucle.com sells a complete ZEX wet system for 600.

My 03 GT has 40k miles and is all stock. Currently have Pypes O/R X, Borla Stinger C/B. All other mods to car are cosmetic.

Looking to throw a few more ponies into my baby.

If you had 600 to spend for power, what would you buy?

Between us, I'd blow the whole refund on a Procharger, but ol'lady would shoot me. Thats out...

Any info short or long would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx...
Old 01-30-2010, 07:23 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i'd do gears, i hear cams for a 4.6 is barely worth it because of how much it is compared to the h/p you get outta it. lol. but if you decide on nitrous you can go thru harrisspeedworks and get a kit for 400 i believe. then spend the rest on gears?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:41 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I like the gears and cams idea, maybe a MGW short shifter or some new springs
Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Well strictly from a performance standpoint the nitrous wins hands down, but i would do gears before that. How about gears and a good used nitous kit?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I say do the gears; between the gearset ($200), master bearing kit ($100) and install, that's pretty much going to suck up that $600. Maybe enough left over for an oil change or take your girl out to a nice dinner. Me, all I get to do this year is fix my window (driver's door register) and maybe if I'm real lucky get windows tinted. The rest is all going to the wedding in a month and a half. After we get into a house (hopefully this year) then maybe starting next year I can start working toward some real power; can't make up my mind if I wanna do h/c/i or just say screw it and put a blower on.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 01-30-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 PM
2010_LS1H8R

there are some ZEX kits for 525 bucks with free shipping on ebay
Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Hey, thanks for the replies guys.

I reckon I should introduce myself. Name is Errol, 36, married, kids, Journeyman Mill Wright. Well enough about me, my baby we will call Emily. 03 GT Premium, manual, Mach 460, leather, silver in color. Bought her about a year ago completely bone stock with 36k. All mods besides exhaust are cosmetic.

Quick small list: White faced gauges, 14" Black Chrome antenna, Hurst short throw shifter handle with black classic ****, Bronze shifter bushings, exhaust, 1.5" hub centric wheel spacers on rear, 3/8" on front(installed few weeks ago), and going in next week for window tint all around. Emily is currently sleeping in garage for winter.

She sounds real mean, but is a sissy at heart. I should note, I feel like the wheel spacers are a total cop out. A big part of me is leaning on doing it right and blowing my loot on some all black Cobra style 10.5's and 9's with some nice M/T drag radials. Figure I might wait till I need more traction before I go there.

My to do list is Eibach or BBK lowering springs, A-pillar gauges, rear gears, remove rear wing, and then whatever engine goodies I can bolt on. My thinking is that I could buy the inexpensive things with my week to week checks, and a more expensive component with my refund. I know horsepower costs big money and its just a matter of how much you wanna spend.

Now, lets say I bought the cams, would I need to buy them adjustable cam gears?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:46 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I say do the gears; between the gearset ($200), master bearing kit ($100) and install, that's pretty much going to suck up that $600.
I think I might raise my limit to 800. I remember reading that a rear end gear swap was dollar for dollar the best bolt on there was. Don't quote me on that one, maybe not the best, but consider it on the way. Would be installing myself. For some reason, cams say its required.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:48 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

You have a couple of options when it comes to cams. Buy adjustable cam gears (degree your current setup) or buy a matched set of cam gears that have been reset. Personally, when i do mine i'll be doing the last option. It's cheaper and easier IMO.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010_LS1H8R
there are some ZEX kits for 525 bucks with free shipping on ebay
I dont know why, but to me, nitrous just screams ricer. I know it makes huge power gains and all. All my friends call it ***** juice and laugh at me when I suggest it. Guess Im just old school.

Procharger would be my ultimate wish. My dream would be to see an Eaton or Kenne Bell supercharger kit for the 2V GT. Hey, a man can dream, right?

Quick Reply: Help me spend my Tax Refund