4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

magnaflow question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 PM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

i run lts and o/r x with magnapacks and i love it. I would never think about switching.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I think 02stang was just recommending you to the adrenalines because i referred to them earlier in the thread and he was just seconding the motion. I agree his approach wasnt the greatest, but thats a lot of what you get on here. And i will admit that the stang in that video didnt sound bad...but there are better combos out there than that IMHO. But here are some videos of why i dont like magnaflow...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=666LjNLn-nU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5D_yDo-KKY
There are two and i couldnt find anymore quality videos to post to actually get my point across. They kinda "trumpet" is the sound i'll call that. I just dont like that sound. With an o/r x pipe, the sound to me should sound more bright and crisp. Just doesnt do it for me. And ive heard them in person on my buddy's old roush...did not like them at all. I could have gotten a magnaflow catback at cost cus he is a dealer for them, but i decided to pay full retail for a flowmaster catback instead and i would rather keep my flows over magnaflow anyday. Now i have a magnaflow catted x pipe but wont put their catbacks on my car.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dteal23
cmon TJ you mean to tell me the car in the 1st vid didnt have a good quality sound? that **** sounded mean. I know what you are talkin about though, my first set up of a BBK X and Spintecs sounded awful under deceleration. I switched to an H and flows. Im going to honestly say that my butt dyno felt a loss of a little power up top. ive listened to alot of magnaflow setups with X pipes and none of them sounded like a muffled fart.

not to be a jerk but I never said I liked them SO much. Im happy that you get complements, LOL im sure people with magnaflows get compliments aswell. I do like the way they sound but I didnt know where I can get the mufflers alone and I wanted a straight through muffler (i knew i could get what I wanted with magnaflow). Whats wrong with magnaflow that you had to tell me about your mufflers? Do the adrenalines flow better? Are they way cheaper (mufflers alone)? I think EVERYONE that has atleast a catback gets compliments regularly. Im not trying to be a dick, but I dont see why you needed to tell me about your adrenaline catback. I mean for what? are they an upgrade? I dont think so. not trying to be a dick but you just reminded me of a kid that says YOU should buy what I have because I think its better... If this offended you sorry, im just sayin
As i said i dont have a problem with the magnaflow exhausts... actually thats what i was gonna get b4 i went with adrenalines... i was just throwing the adrenaline thing out there as a idea for u cause i bet 80% of people on this site never even heard of the SSS company up until the last few months when they started coming up in many exhausts posts, and i think the mufflers might be cheaper than the magnaflows but idk for sure. And btw im not offended and u werent being a dick, everyone has opinions and i think opinions are what makes this website!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Its $46 a muffler for the SSS's and the regular magnaflow's are $70 a piece. So you can spend under $100 or spend $140...and i like the SSS's better and they are 304SS polished just like the magnaflows.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I'm too lazy to read, but the regular Maggies are straight-thru too I believe, just in a chambered casing. Regular Maggies with longtubes and an x-pipe will sound great and will be loud, but not excessively.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

They are straight through...but they go from one side to the other and when the exhaust hits the curve inside the muffler, it goes right into the packing in the muffler...so i'd get the ones without offsets and fit them into the catback if you are so stuck on the "maggies"...just bustin on ya ham. lol
Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Its $46 a muffler for the SSS's and the regular magnaflow's are $70 a piece. So you can spend under $100 or spend $140...and i like the SSS's better and they are 304SS polished just like the magnaflows.
are they a straight thru? these were 58 bux a piece
Originally Posted by teej281
They are straight through...but they go from one side to the other and when the exhaust hits the curve inside the muffler, it goes right into the packing in the muffler...so i'd get the ones without offsets and fit them into the catback if you are so stuck on the "maggies"...just bustin on ya ham. lol
i didnt even think of the offsets like a ****** idiot.... My buddy said these are like glass packs. its only 100 bucks I **** that off all the time. wish me luck. ill post a vid when the car is finished with everything (blower intake long tubes and a tune) dude said this weekend so lets see
Old 02-11-2010, 11:52 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

SSS is straight through.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Ok, im very confused based on your last post. lol which mufflers are you getting??? im assuming that youre getting the magnaflows but im confused so im just assuming. And good luck. If youre guy is hooking you up with them, they will probably be the right muffler(offset/offset opposite sides will fit right into your current catback).

And yes, SSS are straight through.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 AM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

i didnt even think of the offsets like a ****** idiot.... My buddy said these are like glass packs. its only 100 bucks I **** that off all the time. wish me luck. ill post a vid when the car is finished with everything (blower intake long tubes and a tune) dude said this weekend so lets see
Your cars bout to be so BADA$$, cant wait to see the vid

Quick Reply: magnaflow question...