4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

comp xe270ah cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default comp xe270ah cams

i have the opportunity to get a set of comp cams xe270ah used for cheap, and i also have the money to get them installed. besides valve springs what else do i need? also ive been searching but cant find what people are putting down with these, or if they are a good cam to go with. i know cms and hitech are good, but im getting a great price on these comps. i have full bolt ons with longtubes. anything i should be looking for when buying a used set of cams? they came off a local car that blew the motor on a on3 turbo kit. any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by mvr; 02-16-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:52 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Those are great cams, but they need to be degreed properly or else you run the risk of having PTV (piston to valve) clearance issues. When installed and degreed properly, this won't be an issue.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

there good cams from what iv seen. I dont have them myself. But like said above all you need to really worry about is clearance. If there installed by someone who knows what there doing. Then they will check it and youll be fine.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Actually, if you install them at the advertised specs (with the ICL at 113) ptv clearance will be extremely tight. You could possibly have contact if you have the stock PI heads. Of course you could retard the ICL a little, and you'll get safe clearance, but it will cost you a few hp as well. It's really a gamble.

This really only applies if you're staying with the stock PI heads though. In which case, there are better cams available.

Last edited by mrtstang; 02-16-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Those are great cams, but they need to be degreed properly or else you run the risk of having PTV (piston to valve) clearance issues. When installed and degreed properly, this won't be an issue.
Wrong!

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Actually, if you install them at the advertised specs (with the ICL at 113) ptv clearance will be extremely tight. You could possibly have contact if you have the stock PI heads. Of course you could retard the ICL a little, and you'll get safe clearance, but it will cost you a few hp as well. It's really a gamble.

In which case, there are better cams available.
A member on the board here has these cams and he put down 288rwhp with exhaust and a CAI. He didn't degree them in so who knows what numbers he could have made.

If you do get these cams make sure whoever is installing them checks how much clearance you have. That way you don't run into bigger issues after start up.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i have read about this ptv issue. i always told myself if i got n/a cams they would be the cms/vt stage 2's. this is a really good deal, im just weary about going with this set. my heads will stay stock for a short while. i want a good cam that has room for growth when i eventually get some TF heads and an intake manifold.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:55 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Talk to Nick McKinney at Modular Head Shop
Old 02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Talk to Nick McKinney at Modular Head Shop
+100000000000000000000000000000
Old 02-16-2010, 03:25 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I agree 100% with these guys. Talk to Nick.

Bottom line...if you want cams now that will work well later with aftermarket heads, you'll need to replace the intake valves, and or/notch your pistons.

Last edited by mrtstang; 02-16-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang

This really only applies if you're staying with the stock PI heads though. In which case, there are better cams available.
Actually, Comp Cams recommends 109 ICL, which is why if you install them at 113 you might have PTV issues. I am not a cam expert, but I almost put this exact grind in my motor and spent quite a bit of time doing research about the PTV issues with this one in particular. The problem is with the 238 duration on the exhaust side and if it is not degreed properly the piston will hit it when the valve is still partially open.

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=969&sb=2

The reason why these cams get such a bad rap is because guys have installed these things using the stock cams gears (unmodified) that can be as far off as 8 degrees either way. That can be disastrous with a lot of cam grinds.

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 02-17-2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: link

Quick Reply: comp xe270ah cams