4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Stang, New Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 AM
stang1118

Default New Stang, New Mods

So I'm sort of new to the forums, I had an old a few years back, and I just bought a 2003 GT Centennial Vert. And I absolutely love everything about it.

I bought it with 38,000 miles on it, so it is in pretty nice condition but the previous owner didn't really do much to it (maintenance wise, stock tires, stock brakes, everything was stock)

I just put in cross-drilled rotors, and hawk pads, changed to oil to RP, with a K&N filter, and of course gave it a n sixer ice clean, Meguiars compound and tech wax 2.0.

I'm hoping to get as much help from you guys as possible since you have been around these cars more than I have and have definitely done more to them!

What other maintenance should I do to it.

Now more to the important first tiny mod, CAI.

I usually buy my stuff from American Muscle, but I know there are a lot of brands and models for CAIs. BBK, K&N, C&L, Airraid, Steeda, AFE, Stack, and Ford Racing...

Which one and specific models, (links would be great) that you guys recommend for this?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 AM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

Most people on here will tell you a cai doesn't really do much for the 2Vs. I went ahead and got the JLT cai anyway. If you are going to get one, I would go with which one you think looks the nicest.
Personally, I would consider doing a midpipe first. They are cheap, make the car sound better, and you will feel more of a difference than a cai.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:56 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverGT03
Most people on here will tell you a cai doesn't really do much for the 2Vs. I went ahead and got the JLT cai anyway. If you are going to get one, I would go with which one you think looks the nicest.
Personally, I would consider doing a midpipe first. They are cheap, make the car sound better, and you will feel more of a difference than a cai.
^this OR save up a little and get some new gears (4.10s would be my recommendation)
Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Dont waste your money on a CAI, not worth the little gain. Get Gears and a mid pipe
Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 AM
stang1118

Originally Posted by SilverGT03
Yea I know they don't do much, especially if its a street car. I like them just for looks, and that little sound.. I dont want to go to the metal ones, but I like Steedas, IMO JLT is too big, for no reason, plus I'm not a big fan of how they look haha but just my $.02
Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 AM
salem

If your thinking maintenance not mods, then i would recommend a radiator, tranny and rear end fluid change. i bought mine with 27,900 miles in late december of 09, great condition. did those things and made it run like new.

Plus summer is just around the corner, and it gets very hot here in AZ, so everything has to be done prior in order to be driving without worrying
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
stang1118

Originally Posted by salem
If your thinking maintenance not mods, then i would recommend a radiator, tranny and rear end fluid change. i bought mine with 27,900 miles in late december of 09, great condition. did those things and made it run like new.

Plus summer is just around the corner, and it gets very hot here in AZ, so everything has to be done prior in order to be driving without worrying
Yea summer is coming around here and it is going to be hot.

You replaced your radiator?

Did you do your tranny and rear end fluid at home or you take it to a shop?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

I did CAI first. looking back should have done something else but o well..no big deal. You could always take it to a shop and get the once over ave them look over everything and make sure everything is good.

Like everyone has been saying gears and exhaust is a great place to start. One thing about getting a new mid pipe is that if you plan on getting long tube headers later youll have to replace the midpipe again...So if your planning on going long tubes down the road you should get them both at the same time. And stick to getting a cat-back untill your ready to do the rest of the exhaust. Just something to think about, Id hate to have to buy 2 midpipes.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Well if you just want it for looks, go for it, i didnt mine of the GT for looks
Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Go with gears and a catback first. I got my cai for free thats the only reason i have it. Than i would go with some lt's and a midpipe. I buy everything through AM also. If your going through them just go with this one: http://www.americanmuscle.com/mugtv8pocoai.html

Quick Reply: New Stang, New Mods