4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

my pypes x pipe horror story

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:19 AM
yellow40th
1st Gear Member

Default my pypes x pipe horror story

i am running a pypes catted x pipe, about 2 or so weeks ago my drivers side cat started rattling really bad, i assumed it collapsed and ordered a cat delete kit for it. then it stopped rattling and i figured it had clogged itself to the point stuff was packed tight.... today i went to install the cat delete kit... well the delete kit was wrong, thanks pypes... so i pull the cat that was rattling down and it is completely hollow, pull the other one down and it is filled like a normal cat so im like where did the internals go... peak down the bend in the pipe and see it clogged ....so i pull the whole x pipe down and pull this out of the x bend

the 2 blocks are what i pulled out, the dollar is only to show size... not to prove i can buy a soda

so i cant find the rest of the internals and go pound on my mufflers and they rattler their asses off as they are now filled with the rest of that **** the 2 blocks i found are only about half of what should be there

so now i need to buy a catback...

so i decided i might as well hollow the other cat out and throw them back up, so i broke out my air hammer and went to town on it and i got this out

so now it looks like i have cats....but i dont

some more pics of the **** i pulled out

with the exhaust i have to buy i have to stay as cheap as possible on this and the flowmaster american thunder catback is the cheapest ive found, anyone have anything to say about them, i dont want anything super ****ing loud
Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

A sage I know once said....."One sad fact of life is that very often; when you buy the cheapest there is, you get the cheapest there is..."

Aside from that, **** IS RIDICULOUS I would be pissed. How long you had them on?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
yellow40th
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
A sage I know once said....."One sad fact of life is that very often; when you buy the cheapest there is, you get the cheapest there is..."

Aside from that, **** IS RIDICULOUS I would be pissed. How long you had them on?
i had them on the car for like 8 months, and i got them off a very good friend and he only used it for 6 months before he went to longtubes
Old 05-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Mustang813
1st Gear Member

I love the story. I have the AT cat back, it sounds good and I always get compliments on it but like always look around on youtube for your year with exhaust systems.

Here is a 04 GT but it has bassani catted xpipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDw5J6ycspM Outside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWo0_hOiEVs Inside

04 GT with just the exhaust system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hl0GTbxyU Outside

But as always, a o/r pipe makes it sound better IMO!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

What the hell are those blocks?? Is that the catalyst material? Looks like they packed it full of wood. I've never looked inside of nor seen a cross section of a converter, didn't know the stuff inside looked liked that. I know it would be pointless, but if I were you I'd be tempted to call Pypes and let them know what a p.o.s. their stuff is. When it comes to Pypes, I hear nothing but problems; it can only be a matter of time before reputable retailers such as AM stop carrying their stuff.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:18 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I would be ****ing livid. you need to call pypes right now and demand a refund AND a new midpipe. You should tell them that **** messed up your mufflers to and have them pay for a new catback. Thats bull****.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

damn son that s*** beez platinum dawg
Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 PM
yellow40th
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
I would be ****ing livid. you need to call pypes right now and demand a refund AND a new midpipe. You should tell them that **** messed up your mufflers to and have them pay for a new catback. Thats bull****.
since i didnt buy it from them and got it from a friend im assuming im **** out of luck, but i am sending back the cat deletes they sent me that dont fit and letting them know what happened with the cat. im curious what they have to say about it
Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yellow40th
since i didnt buy it from them and got it from a friend im assuming im **** out of luck, but i am sending back the cat deletes they sent me that dont fit and letting them know what happened with the cat. im curious what they have to say about it
Nope, email the manufacturer. I got a h-pipe replaced because those dumb faks welded the o/2 bungs on upside down. ****in idiots. I bought it from american muscle though. Just email the manufac. and show him pictures and demand they do something.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:34 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

ouch lol welcome to the world of pypes! they're f*cking garbage!

Quick Reply: my pypes x pipe horror story