4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

LT's is it worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Default LT's is it worth the trouble?

Well guys after the Vortech install I'm looking at doing one more mod before I start pouring money into the block. Got a good deal on some LT's and was just wondering is it really worth the pain, money etc., to install them on my car? Also why is there such a price difference between the ceramic and chrome LT's? I'm really trying to get to the 400 RWHP mark and I figured with the LT's (plus with the install of the Vortech) I should be knocking on the door. What do you guys think?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:32 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

It will especially be worth it since you have a blower. The ceramic coated headers will dissipate heat better, and last longer. Don't get the chrome.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Well guys after the Vortech install I'm looking at doing one more mod before I start pouring money into the block. Got a good deal on some LT's and was just wondering is it really worth the pain, money etc., to install them on my car? Also why is there such a price difference between the ceramic and chrome LT's? I'm really trying to get to the 400 RWHP mark and I figured with the LT's (plus with the install of the Vortech) I should be knocking on the door. What do you guys think?
I'm confused. How in gods name would you need LTs to reach 400RWHP when you have a vortech + cams + bolt ons? Do you even have this thing on? You can reach 400RWHP on a totally stock 2V if you just turn the friggin PSI up.

Whether you put LTs on or not doesnt have a thing to do with power here. Its for looks and sound. I think youl see 10RWHP at most diff on your setup with the LTs, probably more like 0RWHP realistically. If you want the looks and sound and think its worth the trouble and money for a respectable set of headers without gaining performance then go for it.

I'm a little flabbergasted at this thread.....You shouldn't be spending one penny on that car until you have a forged rotating assembly in that block. I mean I can have a rod or two going straight through neighbor bob's house in about 15 minutes without LT's trust me tell me where you live.

Last edited by Hangwire; 05-18-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 PM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

Don't listen to the clowns who say they aren't worth it. I two bus lengths on a car I put 2 lengths on before headers.

Real talk
Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangit9090
Don't listen to the clowns who say they aren't worth it. I two bus lengths on a car I put 2 lengths on before headers.

Real talk
Most of the gains from LT's are from changing out the stock midpipe... He will realistically not gain much from LT's and he is still going to be limited by his shortblock in terms of power. LT's aren't worth it for you right now. If you hit 385rwhp and 8psi just go to 9psi and hit 400rwhp... No reason to hit 400RWHP at 8psi with LT's... At the end of the day 400rwhp is 400rwhp.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangit9090

Real talk

I guess "real talk" means coming straight out of your *** in Texas. Real talk is thousands of before and after dyno pulls with documented proof. Ask Kenne Bell about their documented before and after Long Tube pulls both N/A and F/I. They saw 0RWHP gains until they broke 600RWHP, at which point they gained 10RWHP. Theres a little thing called the Scientific Method that ensures accuracy of tests, you know...."real talk." But screw all that, nothings more accurate than the stangit *** dyno. People who actually accurately test these things are clowns.

Any of you who think you're going to start pulling "bus lengths" more(30-50RWHP gain) can keep drinkin da kool-aid. Listen to yourself. If you have any general concept of physics you would understand that your stock headers flow far more than a little stock 2V could ever throw at them. Even under mild boost. I'll be here waiting for somebody to bring in some dyno proof, before and after, on the same day without any other modifications whatsoever that Long Tubes grant you more than 3RWHP on an N/A Mustang.

This being said if I had the extra cash id be buying a set of American Racing LTs in a quick second. Theres alot more to be had from LT headers aside from that 40RWHP gain . Sound, looks and nostalgia.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 PM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

I went from an o/r x to an o/r h.

Up the boost AND get longtubes.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
Most of the gains from LT's are from changing out the stock midpipe... He will realistically not gain much from LT's and he is still going to be limited by his shortblock in terms of power. LT's aren't worth it for you right now. If you hit 385rwhp and 8psi just go to 9psi and hit 400rwhp... No reason to hit 400RWHP at 8psi with LT's... At the end of the day 400rwhp is 400rwhp.
DING DING DING. A lot of people put on LTs and see gains and assume its the LTs. No, its because you took your FOUR catalytic converters off and went to an X pipe. Try going from a catless X pipe with stock headers setup and add long tubes and see what you get. Nada.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 PM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

I went from an o/r x to an o/r h.

Up the boost AND get longtubes.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 PM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

LOL.

Was just stating my results. They're not an easy mod to do, and I had noticable gains.

Maybe one day you will have some money, and be able to get some. Some day...

Quick Reply: LT's is it worth the trouble?