4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is this bad for my car? COME IN QUICK!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default Is this bad for my car? COME IN QUICK!

So tomorrow i am going to a members house on here to slightly cut my springs all around to give me a little bit more of a drop. (linear rate springs are being cut)

I jacked up the rear passenger side of my car so that the weight transferred to the front drivers side wheel. I than had my dad sit on my engine bay and i gave him a 50lb dumbbell to hold.

Staying with me so far?

Doing this gave my car EXACTLY the height that i wanted the front end to be. It sat at around 25.5" from the ground to the fender. It looked like pure SEX.

ANYWAY, i figured let me turn the wheel to see if i get any rubbing on the fender or the fender liners on the inside of the wheel... Guess what? The wheels rub the liner upon full turn.

As some of you know, some mustangs are ghey and their front wheels sit back in the fender (nearly an inch closer to the sideskirt) as opposed to being right in the middle with equal fender gap from the front bumper to the wheel to the side skirt

My car seriously looked f*ckin sick with the drop i had on there. It wasn't "too low" by any means. It looked clean and it was a big improvement that would really finish off the car compared to the stance i have on there now.

So my question is this -- Should i just drop the car tomorrow like i had planned for the last couple of months and not worry about rubbing on the fender liner upon full turns and possibly large bumps? Or is it bad/annoying to drive around like that?

Is there a cheap fix to this madness that will put my wheels in the center of the fenders?

CLIFF NOTES
1) My car sucks
2) If i drop the car, my front left tire will rub the inside of my fender liner upon full turns and possibly large bumps where the shocks compress
3) What should i do? Drop it anyway and rub? Or wait?

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 08-20-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Come to think of it, don't all of you guys with 275/40's or equivalent rub 24/7?

Worst thing that can happen is the tire will rub through the fender liner correct?

Here are some pics of what i was doing tonight hahaha. I need to get a f*ckin life.

And this is full turn. It hits in one spot kinda firmly.. It's not a graze, but it's not really pushin it either.. Just rubbing firmly. Hard to see =/

and this is what my rear would look like slammed

Obviously i'm not going that low in the rear. Good thing my fenders are rolled bc i didn't realize how high i had the tire up there..

And if you look at the pic of me rubbing, i think that the spots where the fender liner is dark is where i am hitting... I put tire shine on the tires today so that much be it.. Idk what else those black spots would be...
Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

id say cut it if u like it that much, think about how much u fully turn the wheel and go from there
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM
NinjaMonky
1st Gear Member

Drop it.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

You are such a drama queen and I cannot wait to ICE you at the AM show.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

your wheel is obviously sitting too far back in your wheel well. you wouldn't have rubbing issues if the wheel was more centered. is everything squared away up front?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
04orngegt
1st Gear Member

i have 275/40's up front and its lowered. No rubbing. You have to have something bent for the wheel to sit that far back.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:51 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

mine rubs..its no big deal
Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I run 275's on the front and no issues. I didn't have my rear fenders curved (in the rear) and the edge of the fender fu**ed up my tires. HP you should'nt have a issue with the front tires at all.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I'd say drop it like it's hot and worry about the aftermath if need be. That or get a tubular k member from MM and you take care of both the offset wheel in the fender and you get front coilovers so you can adjust your ride height from slammed to 4x4. Lol

And as far as the wheels being that far back in the wheel well, my wheels are the same way. I bet you if you take side shots of all your cars you'll find the same thing. You don't really notice it til you take some side shots. That why MM's k member can move the tire forward 3/4" with standard offset front control arms and then with offset control arms get another 3/4" put of it. There is plenty of forward movement in the front fender wells f our cars.

Last edited by teej281; 08-20-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this bad for my car? COME IN QUICK!