4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4r70w automatic swap parts pics!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Here you go man. The second one is a 4r70w swap into a termi which is very similar.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ion/index.html

http://www.modularfords.com/2008/08/...mustang-cobra/

Today's progress:

I cut off the little ears by the alignment dowel holes in the bellhousing on my trans today and the ring around the front yoke. The ears interfere with LT headers and should be removed if you ever have plans for LTs and the ring around the front yoke apparently has a tendency to come off anyways.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I didn't have troubles with those ears and I have LTs.

Guess I need to keep an eye out for auto shifter bezel in tan as the 5 speed one doesn't fit.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

wannabe, if you sell your car, take off the longtubes! I'll buy them from ya....
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I'm going to keep my car. To much crap needs done to make it sell at a price I would be willing to let it go for.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Good choice...lol, sorry for the threadjack Tbirdsy.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:53 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I didn't have troubles with those ears and I have LTs.

Guess I need to keep an eye out for auto shifter bezel in tan as the 5 speed one doesn't fit.
Some headers don't have clearance issues, but some do. I guess it's just a toss up kind of like some mid-pipes only work on manual cars etc... Removing the ears takes care of the clearance issues that some LT headers have on these cars. (besides the whole PITA with the stock k-member part)

Your interior bezel trim doesn't fit? I have only heard of the shifter itself not mounting up right. Can you post a pic? BTW, I don't plan on running the stock shifter for long. I am debating either running the B&B hammer shifter or the Hurst quarter stick. I think the hammer would be a better choice for a car that still sees some street, but I love the way the quarter stick looks since you can just run the manual boot over it.

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Good choice...lol, sorry for the threadjack Tbirdsy.
No worries Iceman!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:09 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I don't understand why people like that B&M hammer shifter. IMO that is the most stupid thing ever lol

Ya I was lucky to have bought Mac LTs and midpipe because those fit autos. Didn't even think about that when I bought them, just got lucky.

The shifter bezel doesn't fit. When I try to put it on the cigarette lighter hits something under the radio which doens't allow me to install it. The auto shifter sits up further than my 5 speed shifter. I'm going to search for some pictures of autos and see what kind of console piece they have to see if it is the same as a 5 speed. If they are I think a little fabrication will be needed.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I don't understand why people like that B&M hammer shifter. IMO that is the most stupid thing ever lol

Ya I was lucky to have bought Mac LTs and midpipe because those fit autos. Didn't even think about that when I bought them, just got lucky.

The shifter bezel doesn't fit. When I try to put it on the cigarette lighter hits something under the radio which doens't allow me to install it. The auto shifter sits up further than my 5 speed shifter. I'm going to search for some pictures of autos and see what kind of console piece they have to see if it is the same as a 5 speed. If they are I think a little fabrication will be needed.
I am running shortys right now, but when I go to a tubular k, I will probably swap out to LTs. Just can't justify putting them on with my stock k member when they will need to come back off every two years for inspection here in the ****-town.

I guess I will find out the hard way with what is going on with your shifter bezel. I think the bezels are different because they sell trim rings for both the auto and manual shifter bezel. Why don't you just fin an auto bezel on ebay for like $20?

My solution was going to be running an aftermarket shifter anyways cause I want a reverse lockout and I hate the look of the stock shifter. It looks like it came out of a caravan. Definitely does not belong in a mustang.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

UPDATE:

I pulled the pan of the transmission today for the first time to get started on the j-mod and putting in the upgrade parts and it turns out that the trans already has a transgo valve body kit done to it. I am waiting for a response from the guy who sold it to me since he said the trans was stock. Apparently not, and so I guess I cant really take anything he says too seriously. Maybe there is other crap going n with the trans which is why he went to a t-56 in his mustang. The trans looked REALLY clean when I took the pan off and there was nothing really in the pan. So, I don't know what to think right now.

I will probably just install his thing in my car and get the swap done and start building a new transmission on the side for when the time comes that this trans gives up. Kinda pissed right now.

Other option is to get a used VB and start over with the valve body, but if he didn't want to tell me that the thing just had a shift kit done, then what else didn't he tell me. I don't want to put a ton of work and parts into something that is just a ticking timebomb.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

From experience, I will never buy a used transmission again from a stranger. I bought my transmission and I was told it was running fine and actually had 0 miles on the rebuild. Got it in and found out it needs rebuilt. I took a chance with the transmission actually being rebuilt. You can't trust people. If I was you I would get it rebuilt before putting it in.

There will be nothing more frustrating then putting in the transmission to find out something is wrong with it. Trust me, I know.

Quick Reply: 4r70w automatic swap parts pics!!!!!