4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

question about changing pulleys on s/c

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 AM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

Default question about changing pulleys on s/c

i have a vortech s-trim with the stock pulley, that will be getting installed on my car here shortly. i will be swapping to a 3.33 6 rib pulley and i have a question. when going to a 6 rib pulley do you have to change out any other pulleys on your mustang? all my other pulleys on my car are stock. i am deployed right now and i can not look at the pulleys on my car to see and also i don't have enough time to search for the answer on the web. thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 AM
AYEOH5.0
3rd Gear Member

Well using logical thinking, if you switch to a smaller pulley, you will lose some tension in the current belt. So if you lose too much tension, might have to switch to a smaller belt.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Stock pullies are 6 rib. Converting the s trim to 6 rib means you're going to run the charger off the accessory belt, that is all.

If memory serves me correct, the only way to run an 8 rib would be to change all the pullies over to pullies off of a truck engine.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

killjoy, thanks for the help, and ayeoh5.0 no where in my post did i talk about going to a smaller belt, but thanks anyways.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RiCe_KiLlEr
killjoy, thanks for the help, and ayeoh5.0 no where in my post did i talk about going to a smaller belt, but thanks anyways.
he's saying if you're going to a smaller pulley (u ddint mention ur current pulley size) u might need a smaller belt - since u asked about what else you might need to change.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

in my first post i said that i had the stock pulley that comes on a vortech supercharger, i mentioned that i am going to a smaller pulley but that had nothing to do with my question. maybe i should of made the question more clear for yall, my question is right now i have a 4 rib pulley, i am upgrading to a 3.33 pulley and want to go with a 6 rib pulley, now switching from a 4 rib to 6 rib do you need to switch out any other pulleys that are on the car?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

No. Converting the vortech to a 6 rib means that it will work with the stock pullies on the car. You will need to buy a longer belt than the stock sized one though, because you're adding 2 idlers and the blower to the same belt..
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
GTStang_

Talking

I actually had to go through this today with my pulley. Origionally you were saying you want to go with a smaller pulley, which from stock 3.33 down to something like 2.95 or even 2.90 is still 5 steps down from your current setup, which could possibly require you to buy a new crank pulley as well. I would give vortech a call @1-805-247-0226 and talk to them about it. Also, going from a 4 rib to a 6 rib would definately require you to buy a new crank pulley as well. Even if you didn't go from 4 to 6, you would have to buy a new belt if you got a smaller pulley (to up boost) to avoid the engine from screaming at you :\
Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

no you don't need to change out any other pulleys. just swap out the new pulley on the vortech and u will need a smaller belt. don't quote me on this but i think stock 3.60 pulley belt size is 108". so what u can do is do some math with your free time over there becuase i know your just sitting on the FOB problably doing nothing lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RiCe_KiLlEr
in my first post i said that i had the stock pulley that comes on a vortech supercharger, i mentioned that i am going to a smaller pulley but that had nothing to do with my question. maybe i should of made the question more clear for yall, my question is right now i have a 4 rib pulley, i am upgrading to a 3.33 pulley and want to go with a 6 rib pulley, now switching from a 4 rib to 6 rib do you need to switch out any other pulleys that are on the car?
maybe you should know what your talking about before you sound like an idiot. so let ME be more clear. u said u have a 2004 gt stock belt setup with a stock pulley right now. so a STOCK 04 has a 6 rib belt. so unless u converted your 6 rib to a 4 you have a 6 rib setup.

Quick Reply: question about changing pulleys on s/c