4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

ISO's in or out, or a mix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default ISO's in or out, or a mix?

Ok as some of you know I'm putting an Eibach Pro kit on my 2000, but I have been debating leaving the ISO's in or not. I'm between getting some replacement poly ISOs from AM or none at all and just wrapping the springs with tape and or shrink wrap. I was also thinking of keeping just my rear ISO's in (replacing with new poly ones) because I have heard the rears being out makes the ride a lot worse.

Pro's to removal:

1) Cheaper
2) Lower (but only about a 1/4 inch in the rear from what everyone says, so its not much)
3) Better steering response and road feel

Con's to removal:

1) Stiffer ride
2) Noise/squeeky suspension
3) Lower and may not be able to align car w/o CC plates (trying to get away w/o buying these)

So what are you opinions on this? I'm using the car for strictly a DD which is the only reason I'm debating leaving them in, I don't track the car or beat it up to bad around corners since I'm driving on the street. I know I would enjoy the little lower look and better steering response though. Plus it saves some money by not buying new ISO's.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Ask yourself this: Will you be happy with the drop that the pro-kit gives you? If you think not, you might want to pop the isos out, but obviously you run the risks that you mentioned above. A bunch of people can come on here and say they have no issues with the isos out, and then you do it and have issues. I guess you'll never know until you try it.

I'm actually considering this as well, cause i'm not happy with the stance of the pro-kit. If you decide to do it let me know how it works out for you.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:29 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

If you take them out just wrap the springs in duck tape and put grease on them it will eliminate some of the sqeaking
Old 03-18-2011, 08:47 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Ok, here are your choices...

1. use the poly iso's and add ride height to the already horrible drop that the pro-kit gives.
2. use no iso's and run the possibilites of not being able to get a proper alignment

Or you could have made some decisions first and picked some H&R SS springs and bought the poly iso's to add a little bit height and been happy with the drop and been able to get the alignment reasonably close.

Pays to do some research and some thinking ahead of time before the purchase.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 AM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281

1. use the poly iso's and add ride height to the already horrible drop that the pro-kit gives.
2. use no iso's and run the possibilites of not being able to get a proper alignment

Or you could have made some decisions first and picked some H&R SS springs and bought the poly iso's to add a little bit height and been happy with the drop and been able to get the alignment reasonably close.

But then you would have been mad if he would have posted a thread on springs, and you would have been in here telling him to use the search button....just say'n....

I would say you may want to leave them in. I'm facing the same debate with my H&R SS I bought. I think when it comes down to it, I may leave mine in, then if I want it lower I'll take them out once the springs settle. But since you're trying to get away with not having to purchase CC plates, you may want to leave them in for now. Or you could always flip a coin....
Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM
darkshadow03gt
2nd Gear Member

If you're not going to be happy with the drop, leave them out.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281

I did make some decisions. That's why I bought the pro kit... I didn't want the drop the H&R's give because it's too much for a DD in my area. Plus IIRC the H&R springs ride harder which I didn't want. Plus I got a killer deal on the Eibach Pro suspention kit, paid 300 for a 600 dollar kit. I think the Pro kit with the ISO's removed would give me the drop I want, but I'm worried about the ride. That's why I may just leave the rear ISO's in.

Pays to not jump to conclusions as to not look like an asshat.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Ask yourself this: Will you be happy with the drop that the pro-kit gives you? If you think not, you might want to pop the isos out, but obviously you run the risks that you mentioned above. A bunch of people can come on here and say they have no issues with the isos out, and then you do it and have issues. I guess you'll never know until you try it.

I'm actually considering this as well, cause i'm not happy with the stance of the pro-kit. If you decide to do it let me know how it works out for you.
Have any pics of how your car sits now on flat ground? That might help me make my decision haha

Also how hard is it to swap springs? I have everything needed to do the job, spring compressor and all that, knowledge about wtf I'm doing. But can I swap springs without removing much at all? It looks to me like it's pretty easy on these cars but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'll start w/o them and if it's that bad I'll pull the springs again and put poly ISO's in.

Last edited by 69MustangCoupe393cid; 03-18-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
I did make some decisions. That's why I bought the pro kit... I didn't want the drop the H&R's give because it's too much for a DD in my area. Plus IIRC the H&R springs ride harder which I didn't want. Plus I got a killer deal on the Eibach Pro suspention kit, paid 300 for a 600 dollar kit. I think the Pro kit with the ISO's removed would give me the drop I want, but I'm worried about the ride. That's why I may just leave the rear ISO's in.

Pays to not jump to conclusions as to not look like an asshat.
Thanks for the compliment. Next time before I post I'll search the member's entire post history to make sure I'm not missing anything!

/sarcasm

The reason I said that was because you're going to get supersport drop out of the prokit without the iso's and almost stock if you get new iso's. So you're kinda in a situation where Supersport springs with new iso's would have been perfect for you. Thats what I'm saying. Sucks that those springs came in your kit and not sportlines. And to think that pro-kits are gonna ride better than any other lowering spring is kinda not accurate. I've owned prokits and they sucked. Rode in a car with sportlines and rode the same as mine did and looked a hell of a lot better. And buying new iso's is a waste of funds. Your car came stock with iso's that work just fine. No need to blow more money on something like that IMHO unless your iso's are completely and utterly useless.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You'll want the iso's out of the front at least to level out the drop. The rear height wasnt bad, but the front was terrible.

Quick Reply: ISO's in or out, or a mix?