4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

help me choose a super charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 PM
MOTORCITYPONY

Default help me choose a super charger

Hey guys im planing on getting a procharger kit for my 03 gt vert
with 410 gears and a 3000 stall i can get there basic kit for 4220.00,and now with the new vortech v3 out i gotta put them back into the mix,can some owners here shine some light on the pros and cons of ea,i hear procharger has bad service if you ever have a problem i hear people crying about vortech and tapping the pan just looking for some opinions on somthing im just learning about.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

PONY

NEW HERE SEEMS LIKE ONE OF THE BETTER BOARDS I HAVE FOUND
Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Was reading with the v3 you don't have to tap the pan though
Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I'm a big fan of procharger along with a few of my friends locally, I don't know anyone thats ever had a procharger service problem they seem very helpful. My friend has the same procharger I have on his fox and the blower has 115k and never even needed repairs.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

OP i'm not sure where you're at in MI, but call Lidio at Alternative Auto. He's one of the most respected tuners in the country when it comes to Mustangs, and he'll give you his honest real world experience and opinions between Procharger and Vortech.

BTW, the Vortech V-3 is a self contained unit. No tapping the oil pan.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

only negative Ive heard about prochargers are head unit oil leaks. There a are quite a few ppl on a different forum thathas talked about that when comparing centri's
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I really love my Vortech. Alot of people have said that they don't like the loud whine but I love it.. Also, with the OP's 410's ,a centrifigual S/C will probabbly be the only way to go.. It took me a while to get use to the 410's though.. Good luck dude..
Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 PM
MOTORCITYPONY

Thanks for the replys

Mrstang lidio has done a few things to my car and he is a great tuner he just is a vortech dealer and doesn't want nothing to do with ProCharger I'm sure after I get it putmin by me and my pops or who ever he will be happy to tune it he is a biz man,I think maybe he hasmsuch a good contract with vortech it might void it who knows,but he is my tuner,did my gears and stall converter,I'll call him today to see if he will do a v3 system,
He quoted me @ 5400 for a vortech 9psi system with a Anderson pipe and 60s,svt pump full kit with dyno before and after,

He will do same kit for 4900.00 v2 complete install with dyno for 4900.00 bascicly 3695.00 for kit and 1200 for install and dyno,

ProCharger dealers near me well not many I have a place called vector they handle all gm
Cars but will do installs on ford,dodge ect if getting a ProCharger,don't know much about them,i do know I'll have the kit shipped there cause he matched the lowest kit price I found on the net 4220.00 complete and I can just pick it up there nib,I have a lot of options here I. Ight add in the quitter gear set are they that loud?some people like the whine I kinda do to

I could have livernois do a tune,there just very high for the kit they priced for me vortech 6lb non cooled complete 5600 having it cooled to me seems the best way to go.

Do the handheld tuners do a good job? I could add in a handheld from them to,if any one knows of other Detroit shops please chime in,I got loot ready to go present anniversary gift from wife 10 yrs

Thanks to all that replied this is a very hard choice to make
Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Procharger and Vortech are tried and true S/C applications.. I'm gonna tell you what Kerns told me about a year ago.. "Why are you going to pay that much money for New kit when you can buy used"? Really glad I listened to him. I paid 2,170 bucks for my kit complete, inculding 42 lb injectors, intercooler, Anderson Power Pipe and accufab TB and Plenum. Might wanna look into that.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

no superchager....twin turbos
Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

MRT, Walsh, and Paul's High Performance are some others off the top of my head. Also, i would definitely not use a hand held tuner to tune for a blower. Maybe some have done that, but i wouldn't.

I know Lidio is a authorized Vortech dealer, but even outside the shop, among friends and such, he definitely prefers the overall quality of the Vortech. He uses them because he truly likes them better.

Quick Reply: help me choose a super charger