4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Post your EXPERIENCES with different brands of SHOCKS AND STRUTS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Git 'em, Tommy
Old 05-14-2011, 08:32 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Get an IRS. Done deal. You won't get the ride quality you want with a solid axle period. Sra's are not going to "float" as you seem to want. The IRS is definitely a better riding suspension setup and handles well in stock form. But you are not gonna be happy with the ride of your car with a solid in it. Another member has the same issues as you and did the IRS swap and he loves it! Just food for thought.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Get an IRS. Done deal. You won't get the ride quality you want with a solid axle period. Sra's are not going to "float" as you seem to want. The IRS is definitely a better riding suspension setup and handles well in stock form. But you are not gonna be happy with the ride of your car with a solid in it. Another member has the same issues as you and did the IRS swap and he loves it! Just food for thought.

Hmm, at first glance that sounds pretty expensive. Do they even sell a kit for an IRS for a GT or do you have to swap the setup out of a Cobra? Also I was planning on buying a catback from SSS after a while. Is that going to throw a wrench in that plan?

I'll go look into what some other GT owners have done. I found some out of Cobra's from $650 (from people who are desperate to get rid of them) to $1500. I don't think I'm ready for that. But it is most definately the best solution for a smooth ride. I appreciate the recommendation.

I'm not truly trying to turn my GT into a Cadillac. I do have some Drag Strip aspirations (really just for fun though) and I take corners fast sometimes (also just for fun) so a solid suspension works better for that (at least that's what I think I've learned). It's just that my shocks are worn out. So I just want to replace them with the most comfortable shocks possible. Even now the ride is not in anyway unbearable. It's just once I address the issue I want it to be improved.

Thanks for the suggestion! If it's something I think I can afford some day I will definately do it, seeing as how I'm sure it would improve ride quailty a ton!!! ...and I'm really not going to be hitting the tracks very often.

Last edited by Tommy079; 05-14-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Git 'em, Tommy
A Mark VIII! I mean really...

So me and my grandma can go drag racing together
Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 AM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

I love the ride quality and performance of my H&R Super Sports with my Tokico HP shocks/struts. Pretty cheap setup too.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
I love the ride quality and performance of my H&R Super Sports with my Tokico HP shocks/struts. Pretty cheap setup too.
Which springs did you get? And do they ride pretty smooth for you?
I was looking at the Super Sport Lowering Springs for convertibles. They drop the front 2" and the rear 1.6". I was considering this for appearance.

I'm sure any experienced member would tell me that when you lower your car you give up a bit of comfort. I wonder if that would be the case with these because I'd really like to get an aggressive stance.

But I can already hear the comments now: "How can you say you want an aggressive stance and a smooth ride at the same time...you can't have the best of both worlds." I am willing to sacrifice some comfort for appearance... I'm just not willing to completely sacrifice all comfort.

But here's what American Muscle says about the particular springs I'm looking at: "Sport Springs feature more control than that of the stock factory springs, but are still comfortable enough for daily driving and occasional track use." Which are my goals exactly...comfort and (very) occasional track use!

Would I be foolish to continue to want lowering springs? Bramas says stay stock for a comfortable ride...so I dunno, but he also says to ride in a car I can share with my mother-in-law

Last edited by Tommy079; 05-14-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:54 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Well when my car was lowered 1.25" all around on the tokico hp's it rode Better than my friends stock gt.

But anytime you lower a car, you lose suspension travel. it is possible to be low and still have good ride quality though. But a brand new stock suspension is pretty much the best it's going to get for comfort and ride quality
Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
a brand new stock suspension is pretty much the best it's going to get for comfort and ride quality
Well, I'm willing to give up some comfort to look Bad A$$. And my springs have 80,000 miles on them so they are far from new.

I am trying to find the perfect balance of performance, comfort, and appearance as I begin to swap out worn out parts. If I had unlimited cash in-hand I think I'd be buying:

The Bilstein HD Shocks and Struts
The H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs
Some Nitto NT555 315/35/17's on the rear and 255's on the front.

And these choices don't all lend to comfort.
I want the car to look awesome, but have replaced my worn out shocks and struts with the most comfort possbile.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

I've got some Bilstein HD shocks and struts on their way to my house in the mail right now so ill let you know how they are when they're on. My springs are H&R supersports as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Harryman2002
I've got some Bilstein HD shocks and struts on their way to my house in the mail right now so ill let you know how they are when they're on. My springs are H&R supersports as well.
Harry...that would be so cool of you, and very much appreciated. Keep me in the back of your mind and hit me up with a PM once you've tried them out!

That is the exact setup I think I want to run and I'd love to have an opinion before I buy.

Quick Reply: Post your EXPERIENCES with different brands of SHOCKS AND STRUTS!