4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Post your EXPERIENCES with different brands of SHOCKS AND STRUTS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:38 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Not trying to thread Jack but what's the best reccomendation for someone (me) who doesn't give a flying fvck about comfort, but wants something that's going to beat the hell out of him and still allow for decent launch times....
Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
Damn, 60-80k?

My cars at 102k and I haven't touched a single component of the suspension yet.

I'll be reading this thread as I'm looking to lower my car now that I have a real job. I however am NOT interested whatsoever in ride comfort.
SOMEBODY HOOK THIS GUY UP!!!

He asked this like 2 or 3 days ago and everybody just ignored him. I'd reccomend something for you, but I wouldn't know really

I think alot of people like the Tokico Shocks and struts and either Eibach or H&R Springs.

If you've got alot of cash go for some coilovers or a complete Eibach kit from American Muscle.

Also alot of people like the adjustable shocks and struts because you can make them hard as hell for cornering and performance when you want, but if you feel they are not to your liking you can adjust them.

Now mind you this is only based on what I've read and not from experience, but I'll bet at least half the people here would echo these suggestions.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:28 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tommy079
Which springs did you get? And do they ride pretty smooth for you?
I was looking at the Super Sport Lowering Springs for convertibles. They drop the front 2" and the rear 1.6". I was considering this for appearance.

I'm sure any experienced member would tell me that when you lower your car you give up a bit of comfort. I wonder if that would be the case with these because I'd really like to get an aggressive stance.

But I can already hear the comments now: "How can you say you want an aggressive stance and a smooth ride at the same time...you can't have the best of both worlds." I am willing to sacrifice some comfort for appearance... I'm just not willing to completely sacrifice all comfort.

But here's what American Muscle says about the particular springs I'm looking at: "Sport Springs feature more control than that of the stock factory springs, but are still comfortable enough for daily driving and occasional track use." Which are my goals exactly...comfort and (very) occasional track use!

Would I be foolish to continue to want lowering springs? Bramas says stay stock for a comfortable ride...so I dunno, but he also says to ride in a car I can share with my mother-in-law
My car rides 10000x better than what it did with the factory crap IMO. The car before felt loose and unsettled over bumps. Now it rides firm but nowhere near harsh. That's how I think Ford should have made it originally. I will stand by my setup 100% for a tight budget build. If I had the money I would have Tubular K-member and A-arms and full coilovers.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
My car rides 10000x better than what it did with the factory crap IMO. The car before felt loose and unsettled over bumps. Now it rides firm but nowhere near harsh. That's how I think Ford should have made it originally. I will stand by my setup 100% for a tight budget build. If I had the money I would have Tubular K-member and A-arms and full coilovers.
Thanks for the input man! That is very encouraging. How much did those springs lower you?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:52 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

A Mark VIII! I mean really...

So me and my grandma can go drag racing together
The Mark VIII is a pretty bad *** car. You get performance and the cushy ride you sound like you want
Old 05-14-2011, 05:41 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input man! That is very encouraging. How much did those springs lower you?
The mechanic I had to install them said almost 2.5 inches, i just laughed. More like 1.6-1.75 all the way around. The front sits lower then the back though. So maybe closer to 2 on the front.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
The Mark VIII is a pretty bad *** car. You get performance and the cushy ride you sound like you want
Well I did say I'd take it drag racing I looked it up and it had a pretty sick engine. It's just the body style reminds me of my grandmas car. And the new thunderbirds look like some kind of Austin Powers Car. Also, bad *** in their own rite.

That being said, I've known for a long time that the mustang was the sports car of choice for me. I remember swooning over the rumble of the exhaust sitting at redlights next to the original fourth generation Mustangs in high school back in 94 and 95.

That being said...I'm sure the suspension is very comfortable in those other cars, but it's just not the same to me. So I'll just do what I can to be as comparable as possible. And I think you were right on point with both your comments earlier with the stock springs and the Bilsteins. I do think I will probably still get those Super sport springs though.

I think if you've read through the other posts in this thread you've seen where I'm coming from. And for real...thanks for the input.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I have hd bilstein sports on my car atm and love them. They are custom valved from MM, the whole thread though is gonna have a tone of mixxed reviews as everything is arbitrary, the whole how you drive the car, where you drive the car, placebo effect, spring rates, complementary suspension mods all play a part in it. If I had the money I would and needed to switch from my bilsteins, the only other company I'd look into is koni, from all the cars I've seen at the track the koni's have consistantly done well and havent faded at all during a full day of track abuse. The revalved hd's have suited me well as well..

Just an idea of whats on my car, MM solid steering shaft/tubular a arm/k member/cc plates/hd sport bilstein 350front/550rear/04 IRS poly-urethane bushings/tie rod/etc etc... anyways my experience might not be the same as yours.

Lastly, like you, I have a horrible back, mine is from a car accident awhile back in which a semi slammed into us. The hd bilstein coilovers have given me a great ride and has been very enjoyable.

Last edited by Aereon; 05-15-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
I have hd bilstein sports on my car atm and love them.
Awesome because I'm 99.9% sure this is what I'm getting in. How do these factor into your suggestions for slotted shocks?

Actually...scratch that. I just opened the link you gave me in the other post and saw that they make Bilsteins that are set up for a future coil over setup.

Now for a new problem. The way I've decided to work on my car is to do it through my Billmelater account on paypal. With my family it's hard to just drop $300 on my car, but it's easy to make payment...and with billmelater I pay no interest for 6 months. Which basically means I pay no interest.

I'm looking around for a set of these that is offered with paypal and I can't seem to fine em. I have found at least 2 that offer the regular ones. This is a bit frustrating.

Ok, something else too. Here is the description of those and it is causing me to question whether or not I need the grooved ones:

Tech
Heavy Duty (HD) Bilsteins work very well in street applications with a variety of both conventional springs and coil-over conversions.

Heavy Duty (HD)
Conventional Spring Sets MM Road & Track
H&R Race
H&R Super Sport
H&R Sport
Eibach Pro-Kit
Stock Springs
Coil-Over Spring Rates

Bilstein Spring Recommendations
Solid Axle Rear Springs 175 - 250 lb/in

Here's why I ask...these are the springs I was planning on getting:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hr-sss...4-convert.html

Do they end up being my "coilover" Or are they seperate from the whole setup. Because if they are than I don't need grooved shocks right???

Or are you saying to chuck the idea for these springs and just go with the Bilstein coilover spring???

I'm slightly unsure of how well I understand all this here. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by Tommy079; 05-15-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:06 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Just so you understand the only reason I told you to keep stock springs is because you sound like you have a limited budget. You can have a nice riding lowered car but you have to spend a little $ to achieve it. If you do it cheaply you will regret it. After reading a few of your post you seem to be going one way and than another with every post that makes sense to you. Your best bet is to figure out a goal for the car that way you don't waist $ on things that do not meet or get toward your goal. And be careful buying mods on credit you can get in trouble fast

Quick Reply: Post your EXPERIENCES with different brands of SHOCKS AND STRUTS!