4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

First Mod, Limited Cash, WHAT SHOULD IT BE???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
4.10s/tuner/midpipe/a sticky tire
Well gears are only $170 and that's on my list
Tuner is also
I think the Nitto's are as sticky as I'm gonna go.

But the midpipe is a new one...Right now I have stock headers...and stock everything really. I was going to get the SSS Terminators and eventually look into some long tube headers with a shorty pipe to go with it.

Do you think long tube headers and a short mid-pipe is a good idea? If so, what long tube headers and midpipe do you like???
Old 05-14-2011, 06:37 PM
sonicx
speed'n

A tuner on a stock gt is what (like 10hp maybe 15 more hp?). If your even wanting a chance to be in the ballpark of that R/T charger, your going to have to buy a bottle and run some nitrogen like 100 shot.

My 2cents.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:40 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tommy079
Well gears are only $170 and that's on my list
Tuner is also
I think the Nitto's are as sticky as I'm gonna go.

But the midpipe is a new one...Right now I have stock headers...and stock everything really. I was going to get the SSS Terminators and eventually look into some long tube headers with a shorty pipe to go with it.

Do you think long tube headers and a short mid-pipe is a good idea? If so, what long tube headers and midpipe do you like???
Can you do the install yourself? If you can't do that on your own, the install will cost more than the parts alone.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:01 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

beg and plead to get a good deal and do some 4.10's...

gears are the best mod ever and should be the first thing anyone does to their ride
Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
beg and plead to get a good deal and do some 4.10's...

gears are the best mod ever and should be the first thing anyone does to their ride
Enough said..
Old 05-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Shocks/ struts, gears and tuner.

Then drag radials and nitrous.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:05 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

EDIT: NVM I thought you had a manual. With an auto gears would be the first thing I would do. Shocks and struts will be nice but a stock auto is a dog and needs gears and or higher stall.

Last edited by WannaBeGearHead; 05-14-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 PM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

save your money for a power adder
Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
Can you do the install yourself? If you can't do that on your own, the install will cost more than the parts alone.
Yeah I'm fairly aware of that...how many hours does a mechanic charge to do that job. I just figured I could get them in for the $300 I have (parts and labor) if that's what I chose to do. (as I wrote in my first post)

Don't gears benefit most from a tune to get the most out of them though? It's just I worry that to do the whole thing right that I just don't have the cash yet.

My plan was to get burned this time around and see what time we both run, and by the next time we race to have added the gears and tuned them up with an SCT.

Which will get me a better track time if I just do one Mod...the tuner by itself? Or the gears slapped on with no tune?

I'm willing to do either. Or the shocks. That is really where I'm at, I know I'm limited on cash and I just want to make the best decision for my current stock set up to get one baby step closer to being track ready. Like I said, this is just to get a base-line on my stock car.

Thanks to all of you for the great advice.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tommy079
Yeah I'm fairly aware of that...how many hours does a mechanic charge to do that job. I just figured I could get them in for the $300 I have (parts and labor) if that's what I chose to do. (as I wrote in my first post)

Don't gears benefit most from a tune to get the most out of them though? It's just I worry that to do the whole thing right that I just don't have the cash yet.

My plan was to get burned this time around and see what time we both run, and by the next time we race to have added the gears and tuned them up with an SCT.

Which will get me a better track time if I just do one Mod...the tuner by itself? Or the gears slapped on with no tune?

I'm willing to do either. Or the shocks. That is really where I'm at, I know I'm limited on cash and I just want to make the best decision for my current stock set up to get one baby step closer to being track ready. Like I said, this is just to get a base-line on my stock car.

Thanks to all of you for the great advice.
youre missing the point here...

you dont have a forced induction car, so a tune is only going to make you run 91+ and cost you $$$$$$. hell, even a MACH 1 only gains like ~10rwhp from a good tune, MAYBE 20 with a bunch of bolt ons.

you dont need anything else for gears, just throw them in and go...

a tune on a stock 2V is a waste of money (anyone who disagrees, post up the before and after sheets on a STOCK NA car... i dont want to see blowers or nasty HCI cars)

get the gears, do some suspension mods, get fat n' skinnies and work on driver mod then start digging a little deeper...

with a basically stock 2V you can get WELLLLLLLLLLL into the 13's which is pretty damn quick

Quick Reply: First Mod, Limited Cash, WHAT SHOULD IT BE???