4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Blown SN95 guys - question about FMIC's

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Default Blown SN95 guys - question about FMIC's

So hey guys got a question for any/all blown Mustangs here. Im looking for a FMIC for my 4.2 build that is going to have a Roots M90 sitting ontop. I know alot of people go with CSX racing but which one fits, and which one works I dont know. This is where you guys come in. Im open to all suggestions and ideas. Also, what is the best piping size and connecters to get? I want black piping and or connecters if that makes any diff.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Figure out what size your TB is going to be and then match it to that. If it is going to be a 75mm TB get 3" piping. As to which one, it doesn't particularly matter because you are going to have to do the piping layout yourself. So just do a rough sketch and figure out what kind of bends you are going to need then get your piping based on that. For the piping you can always just paint it black with spray paint.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

wait a second... you want FMIC= front mount intercooler, for a roots blower??? A roots blower does not use a front mount intercooler, but rather a heat exchanger under the supercharger... the water through the heat exchanger is cooled via a radiator in the front.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but FMIC and Roots are like oil and water they don't go together.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but FMIC and Roots are like oil and water they don't go together.
Yep, no worky
Old 08-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

ok I stand corrected. I thought I read somewhere that is a Roots style. If Im wrong ok. It comes from the factory intercooled so I want to get a FMIC for it as the OEM ones suck HUGE huevos. Im more interested in which FMIC's fit behind the front stock bumper.

Matthew
Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
ok I stand corrected. I thought I read somewhere that is a Roots style. If Im wrong ok. It comes from the factory intercooled so I want to get a FMIC for it as the OEM ones suck HUGE huevos. Im more interested in which FMIC's fit behind the front stock bumper.

Matthew
The factory Eaton cars used air/water intercoolers that are called heat exchangers. Here are some for the Cobra which I would think would fit your car. Could be wrong.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/03-...s-c-16_245_246
Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I think u can use an air to air intercooler but its not as effectivethe roors blown thunderbird supercoupes used air to air intercooler
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You guys and your facts = fail.

The M90 on the Super Coupe blows UP in to a hat and leads down front on the driver's side to a small air to air, then back around on the same side and up to the lower intake up against the firewall.

To use a bigger front mount, you'll want to use an intercooler that has the inlet/outlet on the same end.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Like I said before. Im just looking for one that fit behind the front bumper. Thank you for the suggestions so far and if anyone has any more ideas Im still listening.

And Matt Ive seen a M90 using a FMIC that intake/outlet is not on the same side. You have to run the intake across the front of the motor down to the bottom of the passanger side, and around to the front of the bumper. Im more worried about the dimmentions of it all.

Matthew
Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Learn something new everday, thanks Roush. But I guess that is why this is the 4.6L section not the 4.2L out of a supercoupe or whatever section.

Quick Reply: Blown SN95 guys - question about FMIC's