4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Disable ABS lamp

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Ravenatic20

Default Disable ABS lamp

Hi all,

My ABS module is DEAD. My ABS light has been on for about 2 years now. I checked the sensors and they look good. Ford told me my ABS module is dead and that part will cost $1,200 by it's self. I think I can live without it

What I would like to do is disable the ABS light. I just want to turn it off. Is there a way to do this without buying a tuner or fixing the actual problem? Forgive me if I missed it, but I didn't find anything on this forum on how to do this.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

There are two fuses that address the ABS system. There is a 50 amp one under the hood and a much smaller one under the dash. Seems to me, that the smaller one also supplies power to some other items, but not positive.

Would be best to pull off the dash face and yank the bulb.

Jazzer
Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Ravenatic20

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
There are two fuses that address the ABS system. There is a 50 amp one under the hood and a much smaller one under the dash. Seems to me, that the smaller one also supplies power to some other items, but not positive.

Would be best to pull off the dash face and yank the bulb.

Jazzer
Thanks. I was hoping there would be a fuze just for the light

I can get the dash face out, but does anyone know how to get bulb out from that point? I am sure I can figure it out once I look at it, I just don't want to break anything (other than the bulb).
Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Sorry, I can't help you there ^. But are you going to then take out the abs unit?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Ravenatic20

Originally Posted by sonicx
Sorry, I can't help you there ^. But are you going to then take out the abs unit?
I was not planning on removing the module. If I ever get obsessed with weight then that will be the first thing to go.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Ravenatic20
Thanks. I was hoping there would be a fuze just for the light

I can get the dash face out, but does anyone know how to get bulb out from that point? I am sure I can figure it out once I look at it, I just don't want to break anything (other than the bulb).
You have an '02, just like me and plastic dash lens is easily removeable by like 4 screws. The bulb is in a little white twisty-socket and just comes out and bulb pushes in place. Hold the dash up the the sun to see which "space" is for the ABS light and pull that bulb out.

Jazzer
Old 08-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Ravenatic20

You have an '02, just like me and plastic dash lens is easily removeable by like 4 screws. The bulb is in a little white twisty-socket and just comes out and bulb pushes in place. Hold the dash up the the sun to see which "space" is for the ABS light and pull that bulb out.

Jazzer
Sounds simple enough Thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You will need to go beyond JUST the clear lens and pull 4 more screws to pull the face off. This is held by two-sets of plugged-wires. Hard to get at, but once they are rmoved, the entire cluster is in your hands.

Jazzer

YW
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Ravenatic20

You will need to go beyond JUST the clear lens and pull 4 more screws to pull the face off. This is held by two-sets of plugged-wires. Hard to get at, but once they are rmoved, the entire cluster is in your hands.

Jazzer

YW
I was going to user your instructions along with this guide to help me out. Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Ravenatic20

The hardest part was removing the headlight ****. It got to the point where I said "forget this" and I just yanked it off. Fortunately it did not break. Everything else took less than 60 seconds combined. No more ABS light!

Quick Reply: Disable ABS lamp