4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just another turbo DOHC build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Ya I like the idea of the On3 FF kit. But I found a members dyno graph of a Hellion kit that made 430/520. I was like zomg. Full spool by ~3000rpm, made over 400rwtq from ~3250-5300ish. I was like is this real life...?

I wish Hellion would make a forward facing kit. Only supplier besides custom made kits are On3.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:00 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I know i really like Hellion but they're too damn expensive for me lol. Teej was tellin me about the FF kits and just how much faster they spool then the normal kits.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:14 PM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to keep close watch on this thread this is close to a build that I want to do when I hav the extra money
Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CobraFrenzy
I'm going to keep close watch on this thread this is close to a build that I want to do when I hav the extra money
If you do have any questions please ask. I've already done a lot of research and feel pretty confident in getting the project done. I'm just afraid I'll forget something stupid and be out a lot of money.

I'm going to try to cover every aspect of the build as parts come in. I am just going to use my evo 3d for pictures so they aren't going to be great quality. There are already a lot of things I've done so I probably won't be covering those. I tune the car myself (moates.net quarterhorse + Clint Garrity's Binary Editor) so a lot of the stuff related to that probably won't be covered till next year when I swap ECU and wiring harness. I'm not cranking up the boost till I have an ECU that will read the knock sensors. I need to do some research on cross-flashing binaries.

I've already swapped to Ford's 310 LPH fuel pump. The price on it has gone up significantly, I wish I had bought two when I did it. This, again, is another area I'm going to skip. I'm not doing the T-56 swap right away either. This is pretty much just going to cover the motor swap and little issues.

The current plan is to drop the stock k-member with the motor and trans on it, just lift the car off it. Assemble the new engine on the new UPR k-member, transfer over the last remaining components, add the turbo kit, head cooling mod, new clutch, attach the transmission, and drop the car back on to the new k-member with the coil-overs attached. This will probably be the easiest way to get it done.

Parts will start showing up this week! I didn't have much luck at LKQ today getting parts, so no new news today

Edit: Also, recommendations on cams then? I know there's better choices but the FGT cams are cheap(ish). The car is also still going to be a DD after all of this, so I'd like to have relatively mild cams that I'll still get good gas mileage on. Spending $1300+ on a set of 4 cams alone just seems a little insane to me when I'm still going to be using continental valve springs, which I'm assuming aren't as good as the Cobra ones. I haven't taken it apart to check yet.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:29 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Get a set of 96-98 Cobra cams if you're wanting to keep costs down. They are cheap, use factory retainers and have more duration than the GT cams.

Are you planning on running the On3 kit in it's entirety? Mainly curious to see if you use their knock off BOV and wastegates.

How much power are you planning on running? Do you know the specs on the MP70 turbo that kit comes with?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:43 PM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

The total $$$ is going to be what I wonder and how much hp for the price
Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Get a set of 96-98 Cobra cams if you're wanting to keep costs down. They are cheap, use factory retainers and have more duration than the GT cams.

Are you planning on running the On3 kit in it's entirety? Mainly curious to see if you use their knock off BOV and wastegates.

How much power are you planning on running? Do you know the specs on the MP70 turbo that kit comes with?
I will probably keep the wastegate and bov for now. Unless they prove to be unreliable or won't do what I want, I don't see a reason to swap them. Maybe I will pick a new bov for sound and a new wastegate to get rid of the screamer pipe that the kit is going to come with. I don't want an open wastegate but that can be fixed later.

Friends have thrown eBay turbo kits on various cars(hondas and even a 97 328i) and the knockoff parts have always been pretty reliable. We shall see.

Initially I don't want to run more than 10-15 psi till I have an ecu that will work with the knock sensors. My injectors won't do that power anyway. The fuel pump won't go much further. There's an 03 cobra around online somewhere with 800+ on pump gas so that's my eventual goal but a lot of parts will have to be swapped to get there. As long as I make more than the 430 whp I had supercharged I will be happy. On3 says 520 I think on 10 psi so that's fantastic if my injectors will make it.

I don't know the specs of the turbo beyond what on3 has on their site. "It will work for now" is the motto of this build the guys at bullseye and the performance shops around here will be able to help me choose a good turbo when that time comes.

The total spent so far... uhh.

$2400 for the turbo kit
$675 for the k member and coil overs
$350 for the clutch
$700 for the running continental motor
$375 for the intake manifold

The short block is left at probably $3400.
$140 for a stock head gasket and head bolts. Probably gonna need some other small stuff (hardware and gaskets). Time will tell!
Old 09-05-2011, 11:06 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
I know i really like Hellion but they're too damn expensive for me lol. Teej was tellin me about the FF kits and just how much faster they spool then the normal kits.
There's more to spooling time than which way the headers face. Hellion's kit is expensive but it's TONS better quality than the On3 kit. I've never heard anything bad about Hellion's customer service but On3 on the other hand I've heard completely different. Just more bad things then I'd like to see with a company whom I'm dropping $3000 with. Tough to say bad things about the kit when so many people seem to have good luck with them though even though quality isn't anywhere close to Hellion's.

Last edited by WannaBeGearHead; 09-05-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
There's more to spooling time than which way the headers face. Hellion's kit is expensive but it's TONS better quality than the On3 kit. I've never heard anything bad about Hellion's customer service but On3 on the other hand I've heard completely different. Just more bad things then I'd like to see with a company whom I'm dropping $3000 with. Tough to say bad things about the kit when so many people seem to have good luck with them though even though quality isn't anywhere close to Hellion's.
Hellion's kit is probably superior. They've been making them a lot longer.

It's also twice the price.

Up to you there You don't gain much with twins - shorter spool time. But a little turbo lag might be fun for a while. I'm going to miss the snap torque with the supercharger :/
Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Just another addition for anyone who may be paying attention. Tonight, while talking with a friend of mine who has done a DIY high-boost Honda, we got to talking about knock sensors.

Knock sensors are tuned to a specific resonant frequency. They have to match block design and material.

The Continental block is aluminium so the knock sensors are for an aluminium block - I will be using an iron 03 cobra block (either the one currently in my car, or a new one from MMR). The knock sensors will not function properly with my setup. 03 Cobras, as I have learned, do not have knock sensors present so I do not know of an iron-blocked 4.6 with 4v heads that comes with knock sensors.

So I'm nixing the knock sensors, which means I'm using my existing wiring harness and ECU. I've heard the coil polarity will have to be reversed - shouldn't be a problem because the coil connections will have to be lengthened. Time to break out the soldering iron and tune conservatively

Quick Reply: Just another turbo DOHC build thread