4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mach 460, burned/blown/melted cut... sub/amp install please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default Mach 460, burned/blown/melted cut... sub/amp install please help.

Ok here's the deal. I bought this car and the previous owner right before I bought the car pulled the aftermarket sub/amp out. She left the wires bare unbeknownst to me until I opened my trunk, went WTF, and caped all the bare ends (none touching that I saw at that point). Fast forward a year and a half later to today. I'm now installing another aftermarket sub/amp on the factory Mach 460.

In doing so, long story short, I realized the power fuse for the amp wire was blown... bad, and the adjustable line output converter (ALOC) used to install the aftermarket sub was literally melted in on itself. So... that being said, the factory Mach 460 works... all 4 speakers are on and it gets loud so I assume it works (is this even possible with that harness cut or did she maybe wire some other weird crap?). But I don't want to hook my new stuff up until I know what went wrong or at least can test everything.

Here is the wiring that someone did to install the old crap in the pic below. Notice the 4 bare ends I cut and stripped about to install the new ALOC, and then the factory data plug. Now it might be hard to see in the pic, but whoever did this cut the data wires in half, wrapped the ones coming from the plug back up into the plug, and taped them onto it. They then tapped the ALOC onto the wires coming from the other end of the harness front I guess the front of the car.

I then realized this and pulled everything down because something didn't make sense. I measured the voltage coming from the data harness wires and it's almost nothing... is that right, or should I be seeing voltage? I get minimal (like .05V) from the harness end, and nothing where the plug comes out of the amp rack.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've been fighting with this thing for a week or 2 trying to figure out how to make this work again.

Old ALOC just for fun (oops):

Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

the mach 460 has 8 speakers, two in the door panels, two where the smokers window would be, and 4 in the rear deck behind the backseat headrests. if you can ensure that all 8 speakers are working, i say pull the old aftermarket crap out. then i would (personally) get an aftermarket head unit, that has amp pre-outs. then run your own amp and sub. oh and be sure to get the right adaptor, i got the one that didn't hook up the extra amps in the mach 460 and have crappy sound, which led me to re-live me teenage dream of having a ballin' @ss sound system... which i now regret bc i've had the damn thing sittin in my room for a year now bc its such a pain to do everything i want to do so i keep putting it on the back burner
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
the mach 460 has 8 speakers, two in the door panels, two where the smokers window would be, and 4 in the rear deck behind the backseat headrests. if you can ensure that all 8 speakers are working, i say pull the old aftermarket crap out. then i would (personally) get an aftermarket head unit, that has amp pre-outs. then run your own amp and sub. oh and be sure to get the right adaptor, i got the one that didn't hook up the extra amps in the mach 460 and have crappy sound, which led me to re-live me teenage dream of having a ballin' @ss sound system... which i now regret bc i've had the damn thing sittin in my room for a year now bc its such a pain to do everything i want to do so i keep putting it on the back burner
Oh I didn't know there were 4 speakers in the rear deck. Is it possible 2 of them are not working because that data wire is unplugged? I'm not familiar with the wiring back there.

As far as the aftermarket unit, this is just so much cheaper and more simple I would rather go this route since everything is already hooked up. I'm happy with the Mach 460 as it is, I just want a little more bass. Plus factory head unit means I have a smaller chance of someone wanting to break into my car thinking I have a ballin stereo worth the money they would make in 2 days if they had a job.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

So thatsssss what a Mach 460 sounds like...

I reconnected the stupid factory plug and holy crap... there's where all my Bass went. And to think I was happy with it before, funny I said above I want just a little more bass.

Anyway I hooked up the new ALOC and I'm not getting any power at the RCA wires going into the AMP. I get .04 or so at the data plug, but I get nothing at AMP in the RCA no matter where I turn the ALOC controls. RCA wire is good. All my connections should be good (I used those little wire tapper things to tap in the right way this time, all wires were tight so I know they were connected). This makes no sense to me. Has anyone done this before that can help out. I'm starting to get annoyed I can't get this thing working.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

So I tested directly into the ALOC and have no voltage. On the old one the brown wires were not hooked up (the ones that get connected directly to the source units ground). But on the instruction sheet for the new one it says if no sound is heard to hook up the brown wires but if and only if, so I'm scared to hook them up. I don't want to screw something up; does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?