4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just got back from the dyno... (videos!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Yeah plus Mike there told me that its a pretty conservative tune which im fine with. By the spring when the weather starts getting warmer im gonna be intercooled
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

^smart move. I'll probably be getting my car back to them late winter/early spring to tune my car with the meth. I'm about an hour from Lakewood
Old 10-23-2011, 11:52 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

heres the sheet

Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Running 10 PSI of boost non-intercooled is really unintelligent and is begging for a blown motor. Hope that extra 30RWHP is worth it. Good luck till you inter-cool it.
I am running 12 lbs. of boost and I'm not intercooled. Then again I have a Cobra shortblock and forged internals. Do you think I'm doomed?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:04 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by piledriver
I am running 12 lbs. of boost and I'm not intercooled. Then again I have a Cobra shortblock and forged internals. Do you think I'm doomed?
This is only really a factor because the factory bottom end is a turd and non intercooled= higher IATs= higher chance of detonation= broke motor

Your fine, although your giving up a lot of power by not investing in an intercooler.

Throw and intercooler on that thing and push 15-16 psi at it!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

especially on a built shortblock. Hell, myself along with others are/were running that type of power/boost on stock internals lol
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Yeah OP you're not running 10 lbs because as lizzy suggested you would make more power. You're making what most PI 2V 4.6Ls make @ 5-7 PSI non-intercooled on their first pull or two. Its a good thing though, these motors blow at 10-12 PSI intercooled all the time.

There is really no acceptable supercharged application without an inter-cooler. It shouldn't even exist as an idea. If you think inter-cooling an FI setup is expensive, try NOT intercooling it - see what happens. Ask soldierGT. If you cant really gather up the cash for an intercooler with your kit, its ok.....you just need to do the math and save up for a few more months so you can afford it all. I saved for ~1.5 years for my S/C kit because I wanted it to be done right. Its not going to be fun anyways without it. You might have a bit of fun for the first pull or two but after that your ECU will practically put your engine in triage from all the heat.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Its not really the intercooler that is expensive. The shop said im going to need a bigger bypass valve, smaller pulley, and a retune. So all the labor for the intercooler and all that stuff is what's holding me back
Old 10-24-2011, 09:32 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

you dont 100% need an intercooler on these motors. Yeah, of course it helps and lowers iats. But is it a necessity? I dont think so as long as boost is kept around 10psi
Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Yeah OP you're not running 10 lbs because as lizzy suggested you would make more power. You're making what most PI 2V 4.6Ls make @ 5-7 PSI non-intercooled on their first pull or two. Its a good thing though, these motors blow at 10-12 PSI intercooled all the time.

There is really no acceptable supercharged application without an inter-cooler. It shouldn't even exist as an idea. If you think inter-cooling an FI setup is expensive, try NOT intercooling it - see what happens. Ask soldierGT. If you cant really gather up the cash for an intercooler with your kit, its ok.....you just need to do the math and save up for a few more months so you can afford it all. I saved for ~1.5 years for my S/C kit because I wanted it to be done right. Its not going to be fun anyways without it. You might have a bit of fun for the first pull or two but after that your ECU will practically put your engine in triage from all the heat.

lol...dont throw out statements like that, where do you see people blowing their motors all the time?

There is a lot of guys that run 10-12 psi on these motors with no problems, including me.

There is guys that push more than that as well.

I ran 12 psi on my NPI motor for over a year before I upgraded to a PI motor and have been running 11 psi@ 6k on my PI motor coming up on 2 years, even hit 13 psi on the dyno at 6300 rpms the other day, and this is my DD that gets beat on everyday.

These motors can handle 10-12 psi intercooled with a good/safe tune.

A vortech centri wont create that much heat so im sure you could run 10 psi non intercooled with one.

I guess it depends on the blower...obviously a KB or any PD blower needs an intercooler cause those things are heat pumps.

Last edited by justinschmidt1; 10-24-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Just got back from the dyno... (videos!)