4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

whats all needed for gear install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Question whats all needed for gear install?

i am currently searching for gears and stumbled across AM's 3.73's and a SCT tunner for around $540 http://www.americanmuscle.com/xcal2-...r-oil-kit.html . now at AM you can also ADD the gear install kit, Traction-LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs... has me a little on the fence. car has almost 70k miles, it is a 2000 gt BTW.

when my buddy had his 4.10's installed he just went to a shop, said he wanted 4.10's and , bam. they installed it. now as far as how or what all was done for the install to go smoothly i have no idea.

what all should i buy so i can take it up to a shop and have them install the gears, and everything run smothely, car is my DD and plan on having her for a while.

Last edited by Crispy2000Gt; 11-11-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

I went through 'Latemodelrestoration'.com. Kit comes complete for install except for LS disks. I think it ran 269.00 I can't recall. If you haven't been harsh on the drivetrain the LS should be fine.

Last edited by 03gt04mach1; 11-11-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
If you haven't been harsh on the drivetrain the LS should be fine.
no i havent, i dont believe previous owner was either. so just install kit?
also, how much should i expect to pay for install?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crispy2000Gt
no i havent, i dont believe previous owner was either. so just install kit?
also, how much should i expect to pay for install?
I paid 300.00 for install. I thought that was fair. You might get it done for a little less. If you have a buddy who knows what he's doing, you can do it together. I just couldn't scrap around on the floor anymore after having bladder cancer surgery. So I didn't want to do it myself. Makes me NUTS. But, definitly make sure to get an experienced gear guy. You'll be happier over the long run, rather than saving a few bucks. But if over 350.00 for labor, you should shop around. Also, I think you'll be safe, but it's hard to tell about the LS untill it's taken out and inspected.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:13 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

i am currently searching for gears and stumbled across AM's 3.73's and a SCT tunner for around $540 http://www.americanmuscle.com/xcal2-...r-oil-kit.html . now at AM you can also ADD the gear install kit, Traction-LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs... has me a little on the fence. car has almost 70k miles, it is a 2000 gt BTW.

when my buddy had his 4.10's installed he just went to a shop, said he wanted 4.10's and , bam. they installed it. now as far as how or what all was done for the install to go smoothly i have no idea.

what all should i buy so i can take it up to a shop and have them install the gears, and everything run smothely, car is my DD and plan on having her for a while.

Op, getting the t-lok rebuild kit is definitely a wise decision if you can afford it. It's always a good idea to service all of the differential when opening it, because otherwise you are just going to have to do it again and that is not worth the time or money.

As far as everything you need for gears:
gears
diff fluid
bearing/installation kit(will have all bearings/shims/gaskets/etc needed for install)
t-lok rebuild(highly recommended, but not required)

This is a list of everything you need and if you get the gear/tuner kit, it will come with the fluid you need, just add the bearing/installation kit and the t-lok and you'll be good to go!

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any questions in the future!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung
Op, getting the t-lok rebuild kit is definitely a wise decision if you can afford it. It's always a good idea to service all of the differential when opening it, because otherwise you are just going to have to do it again and that is not worth the time or money.

As far as everything you need for gears:
gears
diff fluid
bearing/installation kit(will have all bearings/shims/gaskets/etc needed for install)
t-lok rebuild(highly recommended, but not required)

This is a list of everything you need and if you get the gear/tuner kit, it will come with the fluid you need, just add the bearing/installation kit and the t-lok and you'll be good to go!

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any questions in the future!

thanks chris, ya if i do it i want it done right, i just have to find a shop that wont charge me an arm and a leg for install
Old 11-14-2011, 04:27 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

thanks chris, ya if i do it i want it done right, i just have to find a shop that wont charge me an arm and a leg for install
My advice would be to pit some shops against each other.

Go to shopA and get a quote. Take shopA quote to shopB and see if they can beat it. If they can, take shopB quote to shopA and let them know shopB is willing to beat their price.

You will find that people nowadays want the business and will cut some of their profits to do so.

Good luck!

Let me know if I can be of assistance in the future!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Chris,

Would you be able to swap a 28 spline s-spring into this kit, or is it available somewhere else?:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-88-traclok-kit.html

Or would you suggest just replacing the whole unit with one of these:
- LSD w/ heavy duty -plate style clutches - http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...-28spline.html

How much stronger/effective are the carbon discs. I do smoke the tires sometimes, and plan on running the 1/4 and some AX if that matters.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Also, we should go with the 75w90 over the 75w140, correct? I saw one of the reviewers on AM saying something about running the 75w140, but the description says my 2000 GT should be using the 75w90...
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
Chris,

Would you be able to swap a 28 spline s-spring into this kit, or is it available somewhere else?:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-88-traclok-kit.html

Or would you suggest just replacing the whole unit with one of these:
- LSD w/ heavy duty -plate style clutches - http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...-28spline.html

How much stronger/effective are the carbon discs. I do smoke the tires sometimes, and plan on running the 1/4 and some AX if that matters.
im a lil new to this but dosent your car have 31 spline right now?

Quick Reply: whats all needed for gear install?