4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lowered 02 GT: subframe connectors work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
IlikeAllCurves

Default Lowered 02 GT: subframe connectors work?

Hey MF,
I've got an 02 GT that I lowered with H&R Sport springs (not the Super Sport), along with blue Tokico shocks and Steeda Camber plates. It now looks 'right' but the ride is harsher than I thought it would be. I knew there would be some loss of comfort if lowered but was hoping it wouldn't be too drastic. On a perfectly smooth mountain road it drives fantastic but in the city where I live, with mottled roads, I'm gritting my teeth. It's lowered about 1.5"- I'm almost thinking of going back to stock, or at least Bullitt springs.

Are subframe connectors worth the money? It feels like divots and bumps push any shock in the back wheels right into the seats now (and my lower back): supposedly subframe connectors help deal with this, transferring shock across the car better. I was thinking of MM connectors because they say they don't effect ground clearance.

Anyone had experience with subframe connectors? Are they worth it? Also, if there are any suggestions about how to balance the ride in a lowered GT (not radically lowered), that'd be great. I'm not looking for a track car but a decent handling DD that is still good on the mountain curves.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Well your problem is that the spring rates for the sport springs is higher than the supersport correct?

You might need to get better dampers such as bilstein HD's or koni yellows to allow for better dampening. That should increase your ride quality a pretty fair amount.

I know when i switched from tokico HP's to bilstein HD's the ride quality improved drastically. My car still doesn't ride the best but that's what happens when you slam a car and use a high spring rating...
Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
IlikeAllCurves

Ah, thanks for the advice. I was hoping not to have to spend the $$ for Bilsteins or Konis, but if the ride is that much better it might be worth it. So do you think that would be a better go than subframe connectors, given I can't currently afford both?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

FLSFC's are always a good idea on an any pre-S197 ride, looking for increased performance. Just be sure they are welded in place and not just bolted.

Jazzer

PS. Welcome to MF's and peep the suspension section if you are adventurous in the land of curves
Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
FLSFC's are always a good idea on an any pre-S197 ride, looking for increased performance. Just be sure they are welded in place and not just bolted.
^^agreed, and I'd recommend these: http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-f...onnectors.html

But they won't make the ride more or less comfortable. You'll need softer springs and dampeners for a smoother ride.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Subframes are most def worth it.. As Jazzer said make sure they are the ones that can be welded on. Also, some welders may not weld them on, unless you remove your carpet. I ran into that problem but luckily found someone that could and would do it. GL!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 PM
IlikeAllCurves

Thanks guys for the input on this. I think I'll probably do the subframes and then after that change the springs to something a little softer (perhaps keeping the shocks till I can afford bilsteins). I do want to keep it lowered and handling tight, just a little more refined. I'm trying to civilize the beast a bit.

Also, thanks Jazzer for the suspension forum link- I couldn't find that for some reason. I did find your own very detailed post re suspension after I posted my question. It's pretty hardcore but is excellent knowledge- thanks for putting all that up.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Get the subframes as soon as possible. I was amazed at how much of a difference it made, and wished I had done it a helluva lot sooner.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM
IlikeAllCurves

Jazzer, since you're the suspension master- could you recommend some softer springs than the H&R Sport springs I have? I'm not really sure what brand to go with and don't want to make this mistake again. I'd like to keep the car lower than stock (I believe the Sport springs lower it about 1.5") but if I have to go up a bit I would. It seems Bilsteins are the way to go for shocks.

I'd been really clear- but not enough I guess - when I had the work done that I absolutely didn't want a harsher ride, and that if that was the case with lowering it I'd just get the Bullitt springs. The guy that did the work was pretty adamant that with Tokico and the springs (though he'd recommended Steeda) it would actually be a better ride than my stock worn out shock/springs. I did a lot of research on the net but unfortunately didn't find the right posts (H&R and Tokico both had good reviews for ride quality, the ones I saw). The guys that did the work are Mustang tuners/racers and I don't fault them for it- they did a great job and I would recommend them for any work- but I think they might be more track oriented than I realized. Live and learn.. I'm glad I got the right advice from this post.

My goals for the suspension are pretty simple: a bit better handling than stock (doesn't have to be track ready, but fun on the mtn. curves), lowered enough to lose the 4x4 look, and be at least as comfortable as stock (but really I'd like to improve it as the stock ride was unstable over bumps, around curves). This may not be doable with an 02 GT- and my budget- but I was hoping to tweak it enough so it would be a better car. One thing I have noticed since lowering is I dislike the stock seat much less- I used to have to hang on to the steering wheel around corners but it seems that since the center of gravity is lower I don't notice the crappy seats so much- that's one plus for lowering it I hope to keep.

Anyway, thanks for the explanations and advice- to all the posters on this thread. I wish I'd gotten it before I spent the $$!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Now that Kenny Brown is back in business I'd look at his SFC
http://store.kennybrown.com/taxonomy/term/13

Quick Reply: Lowered 02 GT: subframe connectors work?