4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Finally picked up a New Edge

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:18 PM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Default New Edge Turbo Muscle Street Build

I had a thread on here for a friends mustang, i own a 2004 GTO that ive modded, and put back to stock to just have for a driver car. I have procharged an '05 mustang and built 2 custom turbo kits for my '04 gto.

Now today i finally picked up a new edge mustang. '99 year, v6 car getting converted to v8, power glide and a 9" or 8.8 depending on what i come across as far as good deals.

Just thought id drop back in and share. This car will be a purpose built drag car. Will see some street duty for cruises and such, but mainly drag car.

It was full car when it arrived at 3pm today, the front end is completly torn down and the engine and trans will be pulled this evening.

Ill be saving every part off this car that might be worth something, money wise, if someone see's something they want, dont be afraid to ask. I have 100% trader rating on a few sites and ebay.

Ill snap a few pics as things progress. I hope to have the new engine/trans and turbo combo in the car by the end of this month.

Plan is

V8
Built TSI powerglide
88mm turbo (borg s475 based, will stay a 475 while the stock motor is being abused)
8.50 cert cage
9" or 8.8" rear.

Last edited by JAX04; 02-05-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Congrats bro! I'm digging the color!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 AM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

What are you going to do drop a SBC in it?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 AM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Congrats bro! I'm digging the color!
Thanks man, ive always loved the looks of the new edge

Originally Posted by BLKSTANGER
What are you going to do drop a SBC in it?

What makes you think that?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

Power glides and SBCs have been in racing history for the last 30+ years that's what. I know they make GM based power glides for ford now but you just never know. I had a buddy that ran a chevy 396 BB in his 67 Stang.

Last edited by BLKSTANGER; 12-04-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BLKSTANGER
Power glides and SBCs have been in racing history for the last 30+ years that's what. I know they make GM based power glides for ford now but you just never know. I had a buddy that ran a chevy 396 BB in his 67 Stang.
I didnt want to admit it on this forum for fear of being outcasted. LMAO

But yes, i am running a LSx series motor with an 88mm turbo and glide.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 PM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Should be picking up my AJE K-Member tomorrow or thursday, when i grab that, i should start to have some pics for those interested

I know its not a ford motor, But hey, Meet me half way here, i love the mustang, just the darned LS motors can take some stupid abuse in factory form

Hell i ran my 6.0 (truck motor) in my GTO with 14lbs of boost on it from a 78mm turbo and had to be making around 620whp for awhile, tore it down and it looked brand new still

EDIT: Also, im not sure if this is taboo to bring this up, but considering my build and where its posted, its already taboo.

Is their any other popular mustang forums? Im looking to source some parts and i kind of figured with the popularity of the car, their would be more options in the classifieds here....

Last edited by JAX04; 12-06-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Figured id drop a quick update on the Mustang project.

Went down and met with Jimmy from AJE, hell of a nice guy, and we must have shot the **** for 2 hours before i left their with my new k member, engine mounts and trans mount.

Got home and bolted the kemember to the engine so i could start test fitting exhaust manifolds for the turbo project.

I should have the new kmember and engine and trans installed on Monday, and start building the turbo kit.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Awesome, I have a buddy now.

I just finished mine up. Need to take it to get tuned after the holidays.

If you have any questions or need any help, let me know. It's an awesome swap.

Oh, and for your exhaust manifolds, a popular and really cheap method is using stock truck manifolds put on upside down (so facing up) for use with the turbo. In case you were looking around for manifolds.

Last edited by Xemeth; 12-24-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:34 AM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Right on buddy, ill be sure hit you up if i run into any snags.

Oh, on the manifold things. I used a set of truck manifolds when i built my GTO. However this time, i was looking for a more symmetrical look. When i cut my flanges off the truck manifolds last time, we tig welded V Band flanges on the ends, and driver side ended up exiting straight forward like a purpose built header, looked real good.

I want to do the same thing on the other side, its taken me a long while, but i finally found the manifold to use, Grand Prix GXP, Monte SS, The LS4 front manifold. It exits nearly identical to the truck one one on the driver side. Should look real clean after they are coated and wrapped in Titanium exhaust wrap. im getting pretty damn excited just talking about it, lol.

I had a buddy bring his over since his ls4 (rear mount turbo, GXP) is torn apart. it fits and looks amazing! so i ordered one Friday night, and hope to have it after the holidays, things will start moving then!

Quick Reply: Finally picked up a New Edge