Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 ford mustang gt
Default Clutch adjustment

Tell me if this is true...I know that I get up under the stearing wheel and push up on the quadrant and then pull the clutch pedal a click or 2 to adjust it..but is it true that you are not supposed to click it more than 2 clicks or it can cause damage somewhere?

The car is a 01 gt with a ram hdx clutch

Thanks guys!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Dudewright0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Vehicle: 1998 SL500

Yes, it will place too much preload on the throughout bearing, pressing it tightly against the clutch Belleville spring fingers and cause it to fail prematurely--tightening the cable too much with a firewall adjuster or adjustable cable can also cause this.

However having to do so the tighten up the somewhat lengthy semi-automatic setting could also mean that something is wrong with one or more components the clutch actuation system is damaged.

Here is a good write-up on using, and manually tweaking, the semi-automatic adjuster.
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq

Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2002 GT

get an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster, MUCH BETTER than relying on that POS stock quadrant "adjustment" system, which will put extra wear on your clutch cable and the plastic will grind down
JLT SRA, MGW STS, UPR 3 Hook Quadrant & Quick Click FWA, Delta Force Commando, LC-1 Wideband, 180º tstat, Pro Products Upper Plenum, Motive 4.10s, UPR Adj LCAs, MM PHB, 24# injectors, MM FLSFC

2002 Expedition XLT: Premium Sport 5.4L
Oxford White

1999 F-150 XLT: Ext. Cab Flareside 4.6L
Deep Wedgewood Metallic
IMCO Muffler - Dual Pipes, K&N FIPK II
trailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 ford mustang gt

Damn thanks for the heads up guys...see what i think is going on is I had my clutch and TB replaced 20 k miles ago and my TB is already squeezing again:/ and the guy at a mustang shop said most likely the TB is riding on that wear spot the the previous one made on the bearing retainer. And he said to Mabey stop the squeaking adjust it just play with it . And I asked if I do it more than 2 clicks if it will mess it up and he said no it doesn't matter if you do it 15 clicks.

But he also said if that no work get a triple hook quadrant and firewall and should stop. What do y'all think ?
Dudewright0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
00, 01, 02, 04, 2000, 2004, 96, adjust, adjuster, adjustment, ajustable, click, clutch, gt, mustang, quick, release