4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mustang being rebuilt How fast do you think it will be!!???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
GAlexanderAZ09

Default Mustang being rebuilt How fast do you think it will be!!???

I am new to mustangs so I dont really know how fast my GT is gonna be after its done being rebuilt, Maybe you all can give me a rough idea. A few months back I got a 2000 Mustang GT with some mods, had it for about a week before the engine blew. I am having my mechanic rebuild it right now and he said he is finding allot of aftermarket work done. How fast do you think it will be after the engine rebuild. it a convertible :/ GT cold air intake, throttle body, aluminium manifold, headers, full H pipe exhaughst, (sorry i dont know all the brands of mods i just know if they are aftermarket or not.) Upgraded suspension with a 2" drop. front and rear sway bars, stage 3 clutch, stage 2 Cams, pistons have been bored out 20mm and head is being re-machined right now. everything under the hood is all bran new. Not sure what tires but they stick really nice. I know there is allot of factors its just my first tome not having a truck and im curious to how fast this thing will be on monday when I get it back?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Low 9s in the 1/4 mile. Congrats, you've got quite the ride.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 AM
GAlexanderAZ09

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Low 9s in the 1/4 mile. Congrats, you've got quite the ride.
Thank you Im just getting into it and loving the whole mustang thing. Ill post back on how she is on monday
Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Low 9s in the 1/4 mile.
Really??
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM
GAlexanderAZ09

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Really??
Yeah I was thinking that was a little fast if i were to guess I would say a solid 11. (0-60 somewhere around low 4's) I wanna say it should be pretty comparable to a Cobra in speed just have a different power band. Just keeping in mind a stock convertible GT is almost a whole second slower than a coupe. the convert sits at like a 14. I was told the car was dynoed before it blew and put out right below 400hp
Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I'm with you there. Still a bit of a noob on engines, I don't really know what the cams and the piston/head work will give it, but yeah I would think somewhere in the 11s sounds about right as well. Which is still pretty darn good for a non boosted New Edge GT. Definitely sounds like it'll be a fun ride. Sorry it blew up right away, but glad you were in a position to get it rebuilt!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:39 PM
GAlexanderAZ09

[QUOTE=Schmalgar;7867053]I'm with you there. Still a bit of a noob on engines, I don't really know what the cams and the piston/head work will give it, but yeah I would think somewhere in the 11s sounds about right as well. Which is still pretty darn good for a non boosted New Edge GT. Definitely sounds like it'll be a fun ride. Sorry it blew up right away, but glad you were in a position to get it rebuilt

thanks. yeah i was definitively pretty pissed off when I 1st got it. (I never did trust ford) but im glad I stuck with it and cant wait to get it back. Could you possibly recommend a good supercharger to throw in it here. Im looking for one on the cheaper side but i would love that extra throw back into the seat. Nice cobra yourself
Old 03-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I think the Vortech/centrifugal is the SC of choice for the 2v GTs...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/00-04-...ortech-sc.html

I think you can get twin-screws for them too, like from Kenne Bell, but I believe most folks like the centrifugal for these. I imagine others with more knowledge will chime in on that...
Old 03-07-2012, 01:24 PM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by GAlexanderAZ09
Yeah I was thinking that was a little fast if i were to guess I would say a solid 11. (0-60 somewhere around low 4's) I wanna say it should be pretty comparable to a Cobra in speed just have a different power band. Just keeping in mind a stock convertible GT is almost a whole second slower than a coupe. the convert sits at like a 14. I was told the car was dynoed before it blew and put out right below 400hp
Mines not... even when stock in 2003 it was only .2 slower in the 1/4. She can run with the best now.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:32 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

I do not think this car is making anywhere close to 400whp. I would get it dynoed. Also imo 11's seems a little fast too

Quick Reply: Mustang being rebuilt How fast do you think it will be!!???