4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

Default HID headlights

Can anyone recommend HID headlights to get for my 2002 GT? do i need a conversion kit or just a bulb? i have tinted lenses. thx
Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

I would recommend doing a HID projector retrofit though, otherwise you won't really get the most out of it. And you'll most likely be blinding people going the other way.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Boris91
2nd Gear Member

I'm recommending you don't get DDM Tuning HIDs.

****ty product.
****ty customer service.

It's cheap for a reason. They used to be awesome products. Had them on my previous Mercedes, worked great and exactly the color I wanted. Shipped in like 4 days from California and no problems installing or anything.

Bought the same exact ones for my Mustang. They change colors randomly, white to yellow and yellow to white. I bought the 35w 6000k kit again and it's supposed to be blue/white which is the look I like and mine burn white/yellow. Took forever to arrive from China... Packing was destroyed and instructions were in Chinese I'm assuming. Not that I needed instructions but still.

Look at their Facebook page, most of it is complaints with people asking when their product will arrive or how to fix a problem or send a replacement. Not sure if they still offer a lifetime warranty. Last I heard they were trying to phase out production of their HID kits and just offer LED kind of lighting but I don't know if that's still true. I called and asked on Facebook and never got a reply back.

But my opinion is that 35w 6000k would be your best bet. It's a normal color (blue/white) that matches the colors of cars with factory equipped HIDs. Anything higher than 6000k is just ridiculous looking. 55w is probably too much, it washes out the color and it is extremely bright.

Last edited by Boris91; 04-09-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I have a projector kit installed in my aftermarket lights and I like them alot. I would recommend doing the projector retrofit as well as the beam pattern will not be righton just a halogen reflector set-up. I had one ofthe members here do my retrofit, and he did a great job. Im sure he will chime in on this one as he knows who he is...but dont cheap out on this, pay the extra for the retrofit, especially with tinted lights. FYI I got my parts from theretrofitsource.com. I got the 5000k phillips H1 35 watt 3 five system and the heavy duty 9007 wiring harness.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

I dont understand what you have? put up a direct link and can you put a picture of what that looks like?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Im pretty sure hes saying he has aftermarket headlight housing that it designed for using HID lights. The headlight housing you have is most likely a halogen housing. Youre going to need an HID kit, like the one posted above. Its basically gonna be the harnesses you need along with the bulbs and the ballasts, and you would have to just plug it all together
Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ yup!

Please DO NOT install HID's in the OEM Mustang headlights. They have no focus for the HID beam and blinds the crap out of oncoming drivers. It is not only dangerous for other drivers, but illegal and likely get a ticket at some point anyway.

Jazzer
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

I didn't think they really made any HID projectors for 94-04 Mustangs? They make halogen projectors, but they aren't quite the same from what I understand.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

The kit I have, came with projector housings that go INSIDE the lights you are using. It takes fab work to install into your lights. You have to take you lights apart and install them. I had a member here do the fab work for me...not sure if he wants me to just mention him here, but if he sees this he'll chime in most likely. If you look around you CAN find some already done...but....

There are a few companies out there as well that will do the retrofit as well, it can be pricey. Its worth it though, because its the RIGHT way, and other drivers will be happier for it. Just look at the website I linked to and read about them, all the info is there. When I have some more time ill link to what I have. Keep in mind, my aftermarket headlight assemblies are HALOGEN reflectors retrofitted for HID projector assemblies. MY stock lights are still that, stock and in boxes.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Use the search function. You will see pages of info.

Quick Reply: HID headlights