4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

fuggin auto's

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Armystrongmach1
1st Gear Member

Did you check the Real Seal on the Trans? Mine blew out on my 03 GT a couple of years ago. Ford knew it was the weak link in the drive chain, however they didn't do anything about it.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:29 AM
95beaststang
1st Gear Member

That sucks ..hope you get it fixed quickly though.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Armystrongmach1
Did you check the Real Seal on the Trans? Mine blew out on my 03 GT a couple of years ago. Ford knew it was the weak link in the drive chain, however they didn't do anything about it.
you must have skipped the part where i pulled it out and the front pump/converter seal was pushed out lol. put a new ford one in and getting a new driveshaft as mine was effed, i'm assumng the vibrations from the bad shaft, higher pressure and an aftermarket seal was what caused it.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Armystrongmach1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
you must have skipped the part where i pulled it out and the front pump/converter seal was pushed out lol. put a new ford one in and getting a new driveshaft as mine was effed, i'm assumng the vibrations from the bad shaft, higher pressure and an aftermarket seal was what caused it.
Yes I did. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02GTman
Seriously, that sucks. I wish you the best of luck, maybe it's a sign that it's time to swap in a 5 speed.
^THIS^ ctgreddy didnt you do a 5 speed swap to auto ?

GL ctgreddy hope its a easy fix
Old 05-02-2012, 04:40 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

^ nope the car's been an auto it's whole life. I did a auto to 5sp swap on my '95, and i'll prolly swap this one to a t56/tko this winter if i decide to keep it, I miss bangin gears. anyways, got my new shaft today and everything put together. looks pretty good imo. cant wait to try out how much abuse it can handle

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I'm gonna be rebuilding an auto this summer/fall/winter ughhh. I'm thinking about buying either a blown or used auto to rebuild as I cannot have my DD down. I'm thinking it might be too risky to buy it blown because i'm worried that something major may be broken that isnt replaced by your typical rebuild kits.

What are the key components I need to upgrade to hold a mild stall ~600RWHP car for a 4R70W safely?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

^ the basic rebuild kit offered by alan at dirty dog, 400 bucks for the kit. that's what i'm running and he told me i'm good for 600+whp.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
I'm gonna be rebuilding an auto this summer/fall/winter ughhh. I'm thinking about buying either a blown or used auto to rebuild as I cannot have my DD down. I'm thinking it might be too risky to buy it blown because i'm worried that something major may be broken that isnt replaced by your typical rebuild kits.

What are the key components I need to upgrade to hold a mild stall ~600RWHP car for a 4R70W safely?
Are you swapping for a bigger KB?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire

These transmissions are pretty strong...it doesnt take much for them to handle 500-600 hp as long as you have the newer model with the harder input shaft and other misc. upgrades.

Hell, id bet a stock 99+ 4r70w with a good jmod could handle 500-600 hp.

I believe you can start running into problems with the drum twisting and breaking shafts if you lock up with over 700 hp.

Quick Reply: fuggin auto's