4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
That didn't need to be said, it was apparent after reading your previous posts.

Funny you won't tune a car yet you'll tear a motor apart and not think twice about doing it. If you're scared to tune a car for fear of blowing it up I'm surprised you'd tear apart the heart of the engine. Are you afraid of having it blow up? Why not have a professional do it?
No need to get personal, ive put together plenty of sbf and sbc motors along with others, i shouldnt say i never tuned a car before but rather i never performance tuned a obd2 based platform nor a supercharged application, but ive tuned plenty of carbs. I dont feel the need to learn how to dyno tune my blown setup just because of the simply fact id rather it done on the dyno by someone woth expereince and the proper equipment to make it happen. I dont think id trust all that money on my aem wideband gauge that only reads off one bank of my car, could it be done sure, i willing to take lessons based on that and risk being out a couple grand. No. I am willing to try on someone elses car and rosk oweing them. No. Would i read up on some tunning and tune a bolt on mod motor, sure id feel comfortable. But again a blown application, no.

Last edited by uberstang1; 05-02-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shampue
Sort of off topic but how much time doesn't it "generally" take to dyno tune?

There is a tuning place in Green Bay near me that charges $210/hr to "dyno tune" but says it can take 3 hours. Seems high to me, but what do I know. I have 0 experience.
It all depends on your set up. A couple bolt ons is not worth the money. You won't get much more power over a canned tune. A big boost fully built motor hours to days. I had to leave mine at the shop for a week.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
It all depends on your set up. A couple bolt ons is not worth the money. You won't get much more power over a canned tune. A big boost fully built motor hours to days. I had to leave mine at the shop for a week.
Yar..

I don't have many mods, I was just curious. They are an authorize SCT dealer and sell the tuners for the same price as American Muscle. I may get my tuner from them instead of online. I like to support local business. BUt I am not going to let them talk me into a dyno tune
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
That didn't need to be said, it was apparent after reading your previous posts.

Funny you won't tune a car yet you'll tear a motor apart and not think twice about doing it. If you're scared to tune a car for fear of blowing it up I'm surprised you'd tear apart the heart of the engine. Are you afraid of having it blow up? Why not have a professional do it?
No need to get all crazy. Tuning can be a scary thing. If you don't have enough confidence in yourself to learn what you need to to fully understand everything about EFI then take it to a someone that is. I wouldn't see it as a fault but as being smart.

Building an engine is easier then tuning, you can check and double check your work before there is ever a chance of hurting anything.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Sort of off topic but how much time doesn't it "generally" take to dyno tune?

There is a tuning place in Green Bay near me that charges $210/hr to "dyno tune" but says it can take 3 hours. Seems high to me, but what do I know. I have 0 experience.
It depends on the starting point and mods. Three or four pulls will take an hour all together, by the time you get the car on the rollers, make the runs, and get it down. So for tuning too look at two hours minimum, three to four (or more) if there are a number of components that need to be integrated and optimised...
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

No need to get all crazy. Tuning can be a scary thing. If you don't have enough confidence in yourself to learn what you need to to fully understand everything about EFI then take it to a someone that is. I wouldn't see it as a fault but as being smart.

Building an engine is easier then tuning, you can check and double check your work before there is ever a chance of hurting anything.
Exactly. Im sure i can lean to tune a car, but am i willing to "learn" on my blown setup no because its not worth the risk, and im definatly bot going to "learn" on someone elses vehicle and risk jacking up something thats not mine . Thats all, when i pick up the womans mustang that is NA am i willing to tune that, absolutley.

Last edited by uberstang1; 05-02-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Yar..

I don't have many mods, I was just curious. They are an authorize SCT dealer and sell the tuners for the same price as American Muscle. I may get my tuner from them instead of online. I like to support local business. BUt I am not going to let them talk me into a dyno tune
just letting you know that when you buy from AM you get their 'free tunes for life' so that could be something to consider although the tunes might not be amazing you can still get a new tune every time you put a new mod on for free
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
just letting you know that when you buy from AM you get their 'free tunes for life' so that could be something to consider although the tunes might not be amazing you can still get a new tune every time you put a new mod on for free
Oh, I thought the free tunes thing was an SCT deal, not AM. Good call, thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

<snip>
I have to disagree, regardless of engine configuration even a tuning newbie (armed with the proper tools and knowledge of how it all works) can easily start with a tune that WILL be safe and work from there. While I would not likely recommend a "***** and all" f/i setup as a neophyte tuner's first project, in the realm of New-Edge GTs there will be plenty of opportunities for a nascent GT owner to begin at the beginning.

Checking and double-checking are part of any project, even framing a house--"measure twice, cut once"...
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
What does "mail order" have to do with custom tuning?
Your reading comprehension is usually better than this. Remote tuning over email is not a "mail order" tune its tuning based on actual datalogging.

Quick Reply: Tuning help