4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

"fuel low" light, how much gas is left?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by MyGt03
Ever changed an, "in the tank electric fuel pump"? Someone please correct me. Our cars actually have two filters. The inline filter after the tank, and a fuel sock that is connected to the pick up of fuel pump itself. The fuel pump is connected to rigid aluminum tubing and is held very close to the bottom of the tank. If there was any debris, you would pick it up regardless if you had a full tank or empty tank.

However, rust and crud in a fuel tank is rare. Last summer I changed my brothers gas tank in his 1985 S10 Blazer. The problem was, the tank developed a very small leak at a spot weld where the internal baffles were originally welded in from the factory. The outside of the tank was solid rust. Many harsh Chicago winters. The inside of the tank didn't have a spec of anything. I mean, inside looked absolutely brand new. I had a feeling it would as a year or so before that, I had to change the fuel pump in my old 1987 G20 Chevy van. It had come from an electrician company and had 300+k miles. Again to my surprise, not a spec. Inside was like brand new.

Now, I suppose if you had a car that was "rarely" driven with moisture in the tank, yes rust could and would form. But anything that is driven on a regular basis, and fueled somewhat often should be free from rust and/or debris.

Lastly, back when I worked at Cat, it was 45 miles from my door. I can remember leaving work and the Low Fuel light came on as I was leaving the parking lot. Two lane highway all the way home with 3 or 4 stoplights along the way. Made it no problem. I wouldn't advise running an electric fuel pump completely out of gas. Heard you can burn one up by doing so. And heard it doesn't take much...
There is an infline filter, and the filter attached to the bottom of the pump is a strainer just incase you got any large debris in your tank it wont lock up the pump. As far as dirt and debris, ive had my tank down numbereous times and ive never seen aything in it, and the tanks dont rust from the inside unless it sits FOREVER. I actually ran my walbro 255lph bump for 4 years WITHOUT a strainer on the pump and it never locked up. As far as running a tank low and killing teh fuel pump, it is possibly to vapor lock the pump buts its rare, and if it happens the pump was probably already weak.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
There is an infline filter, and the filter attached to the bottom of the pump is a strainer just incase you got any large debris in your tank it wont lock up the pump. As far as dirt and debris, ive had my tank down numbereous times and ive never seen aything in it, and the tanks dont rust from the inside unless it sits FOREVER. I actually ran my walbro 255lph bump for 4 years WITHOUT a strainer on the pump and it never locked up. As far as running a tank low and killing teh fuel pump, it is possibly to vapor lock the pump buts its rare, and if it happens the pump was probably already weak.
I understand the vapor lock and all. But wont running the electric pump completely dry burn it up?

An old girlfriend long ago ran out of gas. Sat there for 15 minutes trying to start the car on a completely empty tank. Once the tank was fueled, it still wouldn't start. Pump was toast. But the pump worked fine until she ran it dry. Dumb b!@ch...lol
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by MyGt03
I understand the vapor lock and all. But wont running the electric pump completely dry burn it up?

An old girlfriend long ago ran out of gas. Sat there for 15 minutes trying to start the car on a completely empty tank. Once the tank was fueled, it still wouldn't start. Pump was toast. But the pump worked fine until she ran it dry. Dumb b!@ch...lol
Running it totally dry might cause some issues, not sure of the internal construction of the pumps but I'd imagine the fuel actually acts as a lubricant for some drives int he pump.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:32 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

The fuel cools the pump as well, its designed to be submerged in fuel, so running it dry will eventually burn it up. How long it takes depends on the age and condition of the pump in the first place. Best bet is to not run it dry and try to keep at least a 1/4 tank in there.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Interesting, so this does still have a basis, just not from tank contaminants?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:47 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

You can run it under a quarter tank just dont run it dry, even with the tank under a quarter the pump will remained submerged as it sits in a sump
Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

I recently wanted to find out as well. So, on the way home one day on the freeway, my low fuel light went on, I reset my trip odometer and went along. Knowing that my car gets 25mpg on the freeway I kept my speed at 65 and cruise control on. I got to 23 miles before I went to find gas. I got a little over 25 miles before I dared to go further and found the nearest gas station. I probably could've gone a little further but not by much. So in my car as it sits right now with a stock original fuel pump and 3.73's, I have approximately 1 gallon left when my low fuel light goes on. Hope that helps
Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Crash, I did somewhat the same thing, got about 10 miles before I decided I was happy enough with that much left when I had a warning that my fuel was low.

Josh.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

This is so good info to know! thxs guys!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i've gone about 15 miles of city driving in my car with 4.10's and a big stall, so i'd say you at the very least have 1 gallon left in.

Quick Reply: "fuel low" light, how much gas is left?