4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Considering an 04 GT with no keys.. I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Hypnotismo

Default Considering an 04 GT with no keys.. I need some help

Hello everyone, I found a 2004 Mustang GT online for sale not far from me and the owner says it was stolen and the keys were lost. A good deal for me makes me suspicious. He says he has a key that isn't chipped and that the engine starts and dies after 10 seconds when he starts it with that. He stated that he had it taken to a mechanic who said it was the key authorization in the ignition system. How can I verify that this is the problem before going all in on this car? If it is the problem could I get the programmed keys to the car or would it need to be towed in?

The car also has a body kit so where else should I check for matching VIN numbers? I know there's more places than the windshield and the driver door for that.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:09 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I would not buy it until the no start situaltion is fixed, unless you plan on buying as a hobby car. If you want it as a daily driver though, you should at least know how the engine runs...that seems to me an important thing. To me if the owner doesnt care enough to fix that glaring issue, he is simply trying to sell you a box of bolts..my opinion though.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:31 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

It is 60 bucks to have ford reprogram a key why wouldn't the guy just have them do that.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:21 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

I would tell the guy that its 60 bucks and if he does that youll buy it + 60 lol
Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 AM
ESABATM
2nd Gear Member

Walk Away.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I wouldnt do it. He said he had it taken to a mechanic. That was $100 in towing alone (50 to and 50 back). I've found new cylinders and keys online for $35 and it takes less than 5 minutes to swap.

The guys is full of it.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

1st off, welcome to the forums....Pretty much agree with everyone else.. Getting keys re-coded is pretty cheap. Maybe this guy (the seller) stole the car and is trying to get rid of it...
Old 06-03-2012, 12:13 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

^That's exactly what I'm thinking. I bet that this guy selling it to you stole the car probably. And he's just trying to pull a fast one. Walk away. There's plenty of Mustangs that start that you could buy. Or it could be a scam.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:30 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by wcgman
I wouldnt do it. He said he had it taken to a mechanic. That was $100 in towing alone (50 to and 50 back). I've found new cylinders and keys online for $35 and it takes less than 5 minutes to swap.

The guys is full of it.

it takes longer than 5 minutes for the IDS to go through the authorization procedure to even allow you into the PATS functions. You can swap keys all day you still need to program to the car. Id stay far far away from any car with no keys and a "body kit"
Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Hypnotismo

Thank you all for your input. Yeah I am suspicious that it is stolen and hasn't been recovered. However, the listing had a direct phone number to the owner.

+Also does the PATS system allow the engine to start for a few seconds with an unchipped key? Or is the information he is giving me just BS?

Quick Reply: Considering an 04 GT with no keys.. I need some help