4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

need help with my straight pipes ( ANYBODY )

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:33 PM
David Edward Thompson

Default need help with my straight pipes ( ANYBODY )

before we get into this please no comments about oh you cant pass emissions. where i live i dont have to worry about that. anyways now to the details. i have a 97 mustang GT and i have straight pipes ( no cats ) with a xpipe midpipe. i have had this for a while now and its nice and loud like i want it but lately my neighbors have been complaining so i took it to the muffler shop and had them put borla mufflers on it well it took the sound away completely and now sounds like it just came off the sales lot it is that quiet. so i want to know how can i quiet the exhaust down without taking away all of its loudness i just want to quiet it down a little not a lot like the mufflers did. without the mufflers it sounded like a stock car all im looking to do is now give it a tone so its a little less loud if that makes since. any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

David Edward Thompson have you thought about (in your neighborhood) taking it easy (not getting down on her) when you're close to your house. I know it sucks but it can be done..No matter what exhuast you have, in certain places (churchs, schools, funerals) you can go at a lower RPM and will not be as loud..BTW welcome to the forums...
Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Exhaust with no mufflers sound like crap.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Shae04GT
1st Gear Member

I have straight pipes with glass packs and surprisingly my neighbors haven't bitched about it yet. Just about my loud *** dog lol. It sounds sick tho so if you want my opinion, run glass packs and tellm to **** off. There's nothing better than a loud *** mustang
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

An offroad mid pipe with any catback should be plenty loud. I don't understand how loud your going for here?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

You can have your car loud... just find that sweat spot in the RPM where your car is most quiet. I do that all of the time because I come home late quite a bit, like 3am or 4 am.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Let me get this straight.....

You were running a off road x pipe with no mufflers at first? So you welded in borla mufflers? And that's too quiet for you?

Well, I ran a open off road h pipe for a month with no catback on it and my neighbors or my family members couldn't even hear it inside the house. Don't goose the throttle and you'll be fine. Our cars are actually not as loud as one might think with no cats or mufflers.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Try taking it easy in your neighborhood. I agree with mineral too, that combo would be plenty loud
Old 06-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Boris91
2nd Gear Member

I'm adding an offroad x-pipe to my Flowmasters this weekend. Wondering how loud that's gonna be. I'll update with how pissed my neighbors get.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

I dont see the point of making a somewhat stock mustang into a really loud car, unless you have the power to back it up. Its like seeing a honda revving upto 9k with a fart cannon and it only going 20mph down the street. The only reason you should even have an offroad x pipe is if you actually make gains with it in power. However, I bet that 9 times out of 10, people with a catted car make more power then an offroad midpipe car on a somewhat stock vehicle. You lose power on a N/A car when you have that much flow. Having the correct amount of back pressure on a N/A motor is important to making power. Its like adding a 78mm bbk throttle body on a stock car. It will make you car bog down do to loss of vacuum.

Quick Reply: need help with my straight pipes ( ANYBODY )