4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Understeer - 17x9 all around vs. staggered

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Default Understeer - 17x9 all around vs. staggered

Hello all, I'm on the verge of buying a staggered set of 17x9, 17x10.5 and was doing some research over the pros/cons between staggered and a set of 17x9's all around.

One thing I want to get more input from guys with personal experience, is the fitment and handling of 17x10.5's in the rear. I want to be able to turn without worrying about my car pushing straight forward in the corners. So here's what I'm looking for:

1) I'm lowered on H&R SuperSports Springs/Eibach Prodamper shocks/struts, with MaximumMotorsports CC plates. (this is my 3rd suspension setup). Will 17x10.5's fit the rear without removing the quad-shock? I've heard the deep dish will scrape because of a bigger lip, but have not heard any input from the 17x10.5's without that lip
(http://www.americanmuscle.com/17x105...eel-black.html)

2) How bad will the understeer be? Don't want to corner and have the car go straight off the road.

Thanks for any input!

2000 Mustang
2001 Mustang GT
Old 07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Understeer shouldn't be an issue on a RWD car (oversteer yes). Especially one as nose heavy as the Mustang. if the car were better balanced or FWD I could see staggerd wheels maybe being an issue.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
Hello all, I'm on the verge of buying a staggered set of 17x9, 17x10.5 and was doing some research over the pros/cons between staggered and a set of 17x9's all around.

One thing I want to get more input from guys with personal experience, is the fitment and handling of 17x10.5's in the rear. I want to be able to turn without worrying about my car pushing straight forward in the corners. So here's what I'm looking for:

1) I'm lowered on H&R SuperSports Springs/Eibach Prodamper shocks/struts, with MaximumMotorsports CC plates. (this is my 3rd suspension setup). Will 17x10.5's fit the rear without removing the quad-shock? I've heard the deep dish will scrape because of a bigger lip, but have not heard any input from the 17x10.5's without that lip
(http://www.americanmuscle.com/17x105...eel-black.html)

2) How bad will the understeer be? Don't want to corner and have the car go straight off the road.

Thanks for any input!

2000 Mustang
2001 Mustang GT

NewEdgeStang00,

Great choice, IMO the staggered set up is the way to go!

10.5's will fit just fine with no rubbing issues. You shouldn't run into any Understeer or anything along those lines. You won't notice much drive ability loss, they will only help you with traction !

I hope this helps, if you have further questions our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

- Dan
Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The SN95 is prone to some understeer, right from the factory, as many car are by design. Adding grip out back via 10.5" wheels, will indeed make any current understeer worse. It is not soo much an issue of too much grip out back, as it is not enough up front. Unless one does some pretty significant geometry changes, adding grip up front is left only to the tires one runs. You can run a real heavy set of springs or sway-bar out back to "give up" grip out back, but leaves your 10.5" wheels for appearance and/or off-the-line traction.

As Dan said, the quads should not be an issue, but can either flip them 180* or just remove them completely. To remove them, is best to install a set of aftermarket LCA's and preferably a set that has a spherical bearing at one end (Jazzer approved ) Car will be more apt to wheel-hop on launch and get a bit more "waggle" out back, but will be fine otherwise.

Don't be too worried, as it is not like all of a sudden, you will go careening off the road while making a turn. You will be expected to have some additional push, but you need to be exceeding a "safe" speed, before this will happen. If you like a set of staggered, go ahead and do them. Just be aware that a bit more push is the trade-off for your upgrade of appearance and off-the-line traction

Jazzer
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys for the input! And good to hear from you again Jazzer, I have been missing from the forums for some time.

Dan, I sent a couple messages to support@americanmuscle.com a couple weeks ago, regarding an issue with a product I received. Is there an issue going on with the support team?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

*forgot to add because I haven't heard back from the support team. They have usually been very good at replying back if there's an issue with their products.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Go staggered its a no brainer
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Triangle, my main worry now is the rear scraping the quad shock or exhaust. I have a catback flowmaster American thunder which looks like it has room for the wheel, but I've been hearing some say fits and some says scrapes.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Flip the quads or dump them and add upgraded LCA's, if you prefer. If the exhaust hits a bit, bend it out of the way.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

I got the staggered setup from AM on my '97 with the Nitto 555's and have not experienced anything detrimental yet, except I can't power slide through corners like I used to, the tires are too sticky.
I kinda thought that I might have problems because I did have problems with the stock sized tires, but nothing yet.
The AM staggered set has wider tires/rims in front (than stock) and even wider tires/rims in the rear. Maybe the wider tires in front are helping out this cornering situation?

Quick Reply: Understeer - 17x9 all around vs. staggered