4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cobra brakes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Default Cobra brakes worth it?

Wondering if anyone is running Cobra front brakes? I have always had very sketchy brakes. First I had to replace my brake booster because it was leaking; TWICE! Then the front brakes starting draging which caused my rotors to score and burn. I then replaced all pads with Hawk and got new rotors. The brakes still drag and you can hear them kind of grind as you come to a rolling stop with no brake pressure. Thought maybe getting Cobra calipers and another set of rotors might help with the issue and also have better stopping power.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:04 AM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

Also interested.
My rear calipers need to be replaced and I'm an all-in kind of guy, so I'll be doing all four with lines, rotors, bearings, seals etc.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I don't think they are. Start off with steel braided lines first and see what you think. If you're still unhappy then switch to the Cobra brakes or one of the many other aftermarket options.

The problems you're describing sounds an awful lot like you have rubber brake lines collapsing. That causes your brakes to drag and lock. Our 03 was doing it and it's very common. (Which is why I switched Cobra brakes and braided lines.)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Cobra brakes will not offer any addtional stopping "power", only a bit morel cooling. You need to rebuild or replace your calpers and the OEM ones will stop you 100% as well as those from a Cobra. In fact, good pads, the Hawks you have qualify, SS lines and good fluid are all that stands between you and less stopping distance of that Cobra.

Save yourself some $$$ and peep Brakes Upgrade for all you need to speed up slowing down

Jazzer
Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I'm glad you mentioned good fluid. This is often the most overlooked item with brakes.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys. By the way the fluid was totaly changed out so it is fresh. I will check out the SS brake lines and look into the new calipers.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Cobra brakes will not offer any addtional stopping "power", only a bit morel cooling. Jazzer
I upgraded my mustang with 13" slotted rotors, Cobra Calipers, stock Cobra pads, with no SS lines and it was 10x better stopping power of stock mustang pads and rotors.

Only thing is I didn't do the rears, my car a slight nose dip under very hard braking. Overall it was a great performance upgrade but recommend doing SS lines.

Goodluck.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

As they have already said, ss lines, good pads and fluid and you should feel a night and day difference. I run cobra brakes now, front and rear with ss lines, hawk pads and a good fluid (i forget which i went with) and i love them but not a whole lot of advantage over a properly set up stock setup. I went with the cobra setup because I do a lot of twisty driving, especially up in the mountains and i wanted that extra piece of mind lol. I picked up the whole setup minus pads for $250 on corral. They do fill 18s nicely though
Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
I upgraded my mustang with 13" slotted rotors, Cobra Calipers, stock Cobra pads, with no SS lines and it was 10x better stopping power of stock mustang pads and rotors.

Only thing is I didn't do the rears, my car a slight nose dip under very hard braking. Overall it was a great performance upgrade but recommend doing SS lines.

Goodluck.
The improvement was due to the Cobra pads and a bit stronger caliper. They will take less pedal pressure to stop, but honestly... that is all Ultimately, the brakes are only as good as the tires, so those who want to stop faster, need have good rubber on the ground too.

Jazzer
Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

I got my front upgrade kit pretty cheap, and did new fluid and SS lines at the same time. I was VERY happy with the difference between what the new stuff and stock.

Quick Reply: Cobra brakes worth it?