4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

potential new owner....opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 PM
chriskarel

Default potential new owner....opinions needed

Hey guys. I am debating selling my car that I am making payments on, breaking even financially, and then buying a 99-04 GT for around $4000 - $6000 with cash. I am so tired of having a car payment. My last three cars I've had to make payments on, but they've been newer so reliability was never really an issue. At this point however, I am ready to get an older car and take the risk of failing parts.

So I guess my question is, are these Mustangs generally reliable? Assuming all maintenance has been kept up with of course. Anything particular to look for when shopping around? I know RWD isn't ideal in snow, but with good snow tires I should be fine. I'm just worried about timing belts, head gaskets, etc. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Your best bet would be to research the "New Edge" Tech Section. That would be the tech section for that year group. I would hate to give you bad advice. Welcome to MF and Good luck. I do think you would enjoy one though.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome

Just look around at what's out there and I'm sure you'll find and see examples of good and bad. As far as what to look for, I'd look at number of owners, the less the better, and the all around wear on the car. Technically, take it out for a drive and get a good feel for the car. Make sure everything works, drives well, shifts good and looks appropriate.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM
chriskarel

I know the basics, I meant like is there something that the SN-95 bodies are known for? certain rust areas, problems with certain engine parts, etc.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ....You may be able to find something in that range...good luck!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 PM
chriskarel

nobody has any tips?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

99-01 gt's are known to have the coolant cross overs crack 100-200 dollar fix
99-02 gt's are known to spit out spark plugs after they get changed and not torqued correctly.

Other than that no common issues other than maintenance should be a problem.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Also mustangs don't have timing belts, they have timing chains. Which will essentially never need to be replaced.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 AM
chriskarel

Originally Posted by 1slow67
Also mustangs don't have timing belts, they have timing chains. Which will essentially never need to be replaced.
My current car has a chain too....That is awesome!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I may get chastised for saying this, but here I go.

A $4000 to $6000, 9 to 14 year old car, will find something to break quite regularly.

If this is going to be your only transportation, a DD, and you will have to pay someone else for repairs like the generator, power steering and water pumps, brakes (beyond pads and rotors), coolant leaks, new clutch, rear-axle leaks, etc.--then find something else to buy.

If OTH you can do the wrenching and don't mind having problems than go for it.

This is not because it is a Mustang, or an American car, but just because "performance sports cars" in that price and age range are likely to be pretty beat up and worn out, I.e. close to junk cars...

Don't get me wrong here, I love my '03 GT and it will likely be the last car I own. However I bought it in December 2006, 3-years old with 30k miles on it, for $12k cash which was from a VERY "motivated seller" and a steal...

Last edited by cliffyk; 11-15-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: potential new owner....opinions needed