Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
JohnLanier

Vehicle: 1997 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L
Default 1997 Ford Mustang GT; trunk and passenger door locked, can't open with the key!

Hello..I'm a new new member with a strange problem:

-->1997 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L
-->Bought used, October 2012
-->NO REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY PROVIDED WHEN I BOUGHT IT
-->Anti-theft protection system, but not sure if it is stock or not
-->Replaced IAC Valve last weekend, per Advanced Auto diagnostic
-->(don't think it's related to this problem though)

1. This past Saturday morning (and every day since I bought it) I could open my trunk with my key; by this past Saturday evening I couldn't, nor could I open the passenger-side door. Luckily, I can open the driver-side door with the original key AND the backup key I had made at Tru Value, but I can't open either the trunk or the passenger side door with either key. It's behaving like the anti-theft system has been triggered in some way, but I can't say for sure..?

3. After reading the owner's manual and some googling on the problem, I noticed that the instrument panel fuse box (right underneath the steering wheel, near my left knee) was knocked loose; I took it off and snapped it back in place, but the problem persists.

3. I thought it might be a bad fuse (location 6, amp 15), but the same fuse controls the following things that are all working fine:

a. Speed Control Amplifier
b, Warning Chime
c. Clock
d. A/C Heater Control Assembly
e. Anti-theft controller module
f. Remote Keyless Entry Module

4. Some other threads say that the anti-theft control assembly is in the trunk, which of course I can't open :-(

Any suggestions/thoughts/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--JohnL
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
JohnLanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
JC316
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 Cobra

Just pop the trunk or lay the back seat down.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
JohnLanier

Heh, something else interesting about this car..the user manual says that the manual trunk release button is in the glove compartment, which it isn't (believe me, I've looked)..so once I find the manual trunk release (or lay the back seat down..duh, never thought of that), maybe I can try to figure out what's going on.

I also checked the instrument panel fuse (position 6, amp 15) and it's fine, as I suspected.

--John L.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
JohnLanier

Default RESOLVED..

In a nutshell, I found out from a local ford dealer (per the VIN) that this car came with no remote keyless entry installed..so I went to a local audio dealer and had one put in..problem solved, i.e. the trunk and doors open automatically now. I still can't open the trunk or passenger-side door manually with the key, but that'a another problem for another time :-)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
my94pony
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 96 Cobra, 85 GT, 94 V6
Send a message via AIM to my94pony

previous owner probably changed driver door lock and didnt give you the key for the other door and trunk

1996 Cobra #2759 of 7496 287rwhp/278rwtq - 3:73-Pro 5.0-Mac Exhaust-JLT CAI-Steeda Pulleys-KB SFC-FRPP Alum DS-Koni Yellow Shock/Strut-KYB Adj Quads-Steeda Springs-FR500 SW-HIDS
1994 V6 - Split Port Swap, 3:73/T Lock-Tri-Ax-True Duels/Flows-Eibach Springs-CAI-UDP-Chrome Cobras/Nittos, SOLD
1985 GT - H/C/I-3:73-Fresh Paint
1998 Explorer Sport
my94pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement