4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Nicholas F

Default Need some advice

I have a 4.6L 2002 Mustang Gt Manual 5speed, i want to install a bigger aftermarket throttle body, any suggestions on which kind and which size to get??? And in doing so would the stock intake manifold be alright? or would i have to upgrade to a different one?? i could really use some advice on this can somebody help??
Old 03-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Throttle body upgrade is almost useless without upgrading the plenum it attaches to. The plenum is more of a choking point or restriction than the tb.

70 or 75 mm, your pick. All of the dyno charts I've ever seen only show about a 1 or 2 hp difference between the two, with the slight edge going to the 75.

I have a ProProducts 75mm tb and plenum combo, been on my car for 8 and a half years and been very happy with it. So far as I'm aware all of them are decent. Accufab is very nice stuff but you can spend $100 less on something else and end up with the same results. It's a worthwhile bolt on for your car that will produce a noticeable difference at mainly mid to high rpm's, but don't take that to mean it will transform your car into an LS1 killer.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Nicholas F

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Throttle body upgrade is almost useless without upgrading the plenum it attaches to. The plenum is more of a choking point or restriction than the tb.

70 or 75 mm, your pick. All of the dyno charts I've ever seen only show about a 1 or 2 hp difference between the two, with the slight edge going to the 75.

I have a ProProducts 75mm tb and plenum combo, been on my car for 8 and a half years and been very happy with it. So far as I'm aware all of them are decent. Accufab is very nice stuff but you can spend $100 less on something else and end up with the same results. It's a worthwhile bolt on for your car that will produce a noticeable difference at mainly mid to high rpm's, but don't take that to mean it will transform your car into an LS1 killer.
I was looking a accufab tb that has the plenum already attached all of it together, by doing so would the stock intake manifold be okay with that upgrade or would I have to upgrade the intake manifold too?
Old 03-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The stock PI manifold is actually pretty decent, lots of people using it in 500+ rwhp applications. So yeah I'd leave it alone.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Nicholas F

The stock PI manifold is actually pretty decent, lots of people using it in 500+ rwhp applications. So yeah I'd leave it alone.
What else would you recommend to give a bit more hp bolt on wise?
Old 03-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Nicholas F

I've heard underdrive pullies would do some good also is that true?
Old 03-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Nicholas F

what kind of gears do you have? or which do you think is best? and I've heard people say Steeda Tri-Ax short shifter would be a good upgrade too?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Pulleys are kind of useless on these cars. It was my first mod to mine, can't say I noticed much.

Beyond the intake mods you're considering, as far as effective simple bolt on's I would say that an off road (no cats) or catted midpipe should be somewhere on your list. Also a tuner.

I have 4.10 gears, love 'em. They don't technically add any hp but will make you feel like it has another 40 hp. Gears are one of the most effective things you can do to these cars without getting into spending a lot of money on a blower or something.

All of the commonly available short throws are decent and offer a vast improvement over the stock pos. I have the Steeda and have been very happy with it, don't think I could ask for more. MGW has a lot of fans as well, if I had to buy another I would probably consider it instead just because of the hype it gets.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Nicholas F

Pulleys are kind of useless on these cars. It was my first mod to mine, can't say I noticed much.

Beyond the intake mods you're considering, as far as effective simple bolt on's I would say that an off road (no cats) or catted midpipe should be somewhere on your list. Also a tuner.

I have 4.10 gears, love 'em. They don't technically add any hp but will make you feel like it has another 40 hp. Gears are one of the most effective things you can do to these cars without getting into spending a lot of money on a blower or something.

All of the commonly available short throws are decent and offer a vast improvement over the stock pos. I have the Steeda and have been very happy with it, don't think I could ask for more. MGW has a lot of fans as well, if I had to buy another I would probably consider it instead just because of the hype it gets.
So 4.10 gears are probably the best to get, along with a catted midpipe and steeda short shifter would be good choices?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:33 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nicholas F
So 4.10 gears are probably the best to get, along with a catted midpipe and steeda short shifter would be good choices?
Yes 410s are definitely the way to go. I have a MGW and love it but I heard Streeda was also a good STS.

Quick Reply: Need some advice