Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

So now you have a Tuner... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
techno
1st Gear Member

I have a question I just bought a 2000 GT with no performance upgrades. The fellow I bought it from gave me a recently purchased BAMA tuner. The only tune it has on it from the sheet he included is 93 Octane. What is the benifit of tuning for 93 octane when there are no performance upgrades installed?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:47 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

you can still get performance out of the stock engine with advancing the timing, air/ fuel ratios, drive by wire etc...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM
deltafool117
1st Gear Member

I bought a used SCT SF3 Tuner off ebay. Previous owner was selling car. But the custom tunes already loaded on it did not work (91/93 Daily Driver and 93 High Output). My car would not start with those tunes so I just Strategy Tuned my car.

I manually set the fuel type, tires, CAI, and Axle Ratio. I have already noticed a huge difference. I have also been playing with the Fuel Air mixture, rich/Lean. I have been wary of going too rich or too lean but I have not noticed a difference between slightly rich and slightly lean.... Slightly lean has not yielded the better fuel economy I was hoping for.

Anyone have any advice about Strategy Tuning for better mpg's. I do not have custom tunes for life...nor any custom tunes. Still happy with my purchase!!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 PM
JimC

The tunes are coded to your ECU code so one that is written for a different code won't work - that is why you couldn't start your car. Good thing that it didn't wipe out anything when you tried it. Others have had the SCT refuse to reload their stock tune after trying that.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM
deltafool117
1st Gear Member

Well my guess is that it did mess up my ECU but because the Tuner uploads the stock data, I just switched it back to stock and it worked fine...

The person I bought it from had reset there car to stock and made sure it was reset with SCT.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Tricks

I have the predator tuner and like it very easy to use and customize your own tunes with. I have never done it but I believe you can call diablo and they can make custom tunes for your specific vehicle. Has anyone tried this?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 AM
mholhut

Default No tuner... but am I tuned?

I just purchased a 07 GT and it came pre-modified by the previous owner. the car's been lowered, OE Racing 18" wheelss, it has a Flowmaster exhaust (which one, I'm not sure), a CAI and a BBK twin 62mm TB. No tuner came with the car and I'm not sure if it ever had a tune to begin with.

My concern is whether I should investigate that more based on the car's modifications... as in does a car with these mods (and maybe more that I don't know about yet) NEED to have a tune or safe to run as is? The second question is that if it did have a tune flashed to the PCM, how bad off am I that I don't have a tuner?

Thanks for the help!

-Mike
Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
DougFL
1st Gear Member

Default Airaid Race CIA and SF3 Tuner from AM

I just purchased an Airaid Race CAI and SF3 Tuner from American Muscle for my 2005 GT. This is my first real mod to the car. Any suggestions, thoughts or tips in advance before I receive it next week? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 PM
blackandyellow

Default help picking out CAI and programmer

I just got a 2006 GT and have been reading around trying to figure out what tuner to get, I hear a lot of good things about brenspeed but I want a tuner that has a nice display like the diablosport trinity. Does anyone have it or another tuner like it that can record your 1/4 mile 1/2 mile and 0-100 times? I don't know too much about them and I don't want to over spend if it wont help. I also would like some opinions on different CAI. Any replies would be appreciated thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Popeyejon
1st Gear Member

Default C&L CAI and Bama Tunes

Well I finally decided to purchase a CAI and Tunes and went with this choice from American Muscle. I ordered the setup about a month ago and it was delivered to my door only four days later. Now for the not so good...After I installed the CAI and proceeded to load the 93 perfomance tune (I also have an 87 Street tune and a 93 Race tune) it would not load. Ikept getting error codes. Of course it was Sunday. I called the AM Tuner service dept. on monday and told them my problem. Turns out I had to call SCT, whom which I was on the phone with for about 30 minutes going thru different software tests and on the car tests. Well my SCT flash tuner was NFG. They said to ship it to them (at my cost) and they would send me a relacement and they would cover the shipping to me. Then, I would need to have AM send me the Tunes by email...Unacceptable. Now for the good...I called AM again and spoke with a tech named Zach, who agreed with me. I had a new SCT tuner with my tunes the very next day! Top shelf service, IMO. So, now I have the 93 Performance tune loaded and love it. A little touchy with the recalibrated throttle...kindda like learning to drive a stick again...lol. Rev matched down shifts are better though. Now it's time to check out the 93 race tune. Bottom line is it's a great mod at a modest price and you can't beat AM's service....Jon

Quick Reply: So now you have a Tuner... now what?