Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need some help with a throttle body install....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 AM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

Default Need some help with a throttle body install....

Ok, fellow gear-heads.......I got my twin 62mm TB and I went to work on my car yesterday during work putting it on. I started it up, and everything was fine; but I didn't drive it right away. A few hours later, needless to say i was excited about the drive back home. That's when I noticed my throttle was staying open after I let go of the gas, and the rpm's would back down to idle very slowly.........

When I got home, I started toying with it; I took it off and on 10 times I think. The car eventually wouldn't even start. I would have to re-set the computer with my tuner, and it would start. Then, it would idle, but it wouldn't respond to the gas pedal. You could floor it, and it would stay at idle. I tried un-plugging the TP sensor, the MAF sensor, and it would idle rough, but no response to the gas pedal.

I started losing sunlight, so Iput the stock TB back on, and it ran fine. I did this at my friend's house, and I drove home. When I started the car again later, the check engine light was on, and the car felt a bit weird. It was running rich because when would leave the car in gear for some engine braking, I would hear it back-firing a lot more than usual. I plugged in my tuner, and it threw back 12 codes all having to do with the MAF, throttle position sensor, and the accelerator. I re-tuned my car, cleared the DTCs, and it's been running smooth since then.

I still have the aftermarket TB sitting on my back seat, though. It is my understanding that the TB does not require a tune. I thought it was just plug and play. Tuners don't have a setting for TBs; at least any of the ones that I've seen. Damn shame.........it made a night and day difference in my car when I drove it. I punched it once, and when I threw 2nd gear, it went sideways and all. My car had never done that the way it did. It stayed idling at 4,500 rpm for a minute until it reached idle, though. Not good times........

Any ideas?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:36 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Need some help with a throttle body install....

im not going to read that, but selling the TB is your best bet
Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 AM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

hahaha....yea, howarmat, I've done some research on the subject, and I know you aren't a fan of the TBs. For the short while that it did work on my car, the difference it made was AWESOME!!! I threw 2nd gear, and my car went sideways both ways before it gripped. My car had NEVER done that before. It sure as hell gave me more than 5 hp. I've been running Stangs since I am 16, but this is my 1st S197. I'm used to the plain & simple 5.0s. This engine management system is a pain in the ***, but I have to find a way to make the TB work, because it is worth every penny in performance gains; if you can get it to work.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:41 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

To be honest with you I didnt feel that much of a difference with my TB. I sent my tuner to Doug @ bamachips to get re-tuned for charge motion deletes and TB so I dont know if he actually retuned for the TB or not. I do know the spring on the side will make or break you lol.

I dont know what the problem is with yours unless the TB itself is defected but the only problem I had was loading the spring too much which resulted in this:

But my TB works great and it makes a cool sound when its opening up.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:04 AM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

Yea, that spring looks like it's struggling.....lol. Mine was put in fine. I am mechanically inclined; just not experienced with these new Stangs. I loaded my spring right; I looked up the instrcutions online, and I tested it by hand with the engine off and the spring closed the valves just fine. With the engine on, I removed the air inlet tube, and used a screwdriver to try and force the valves open, but the electric throttle seemed stuck. As soon as I turned the engine off, it opened right up.

Mark my words:

I WILL GET THIS TO WORK!!!!!

I've spent all morning researching the problem, and got a few leads as to some things I can try that I haven't yet. I'm going to call Bamachips and Brenspeed when they open in a bit.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:34 PM
reeflover
2nd Gear Member

Good luck with that! Everything I have read on this forum has been negative toward those things. Most just end up as very expensive paper weights.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Your descriptions are totally wrong here. There is no way for your throttle body valves to be open when the engine is off and then closed when the engine is on. There are stops on the right side assembly to not allow for this.

Your spring IS NOT loaded properly and possibly a bad TPS now.

Either way, I would pop off the spring cap, unwind it and then rewind it. I bet after that you'll be good there, it will stay closed all the time. Now if the wrench pops up on the cluster, swing by ford with $100 bucks and get a new TPS...

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:19 PM
nightrider06

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

Your descriptions are totally wrong here. There is no way for your throttle body valves to be open when the engine is off and then closed when the engine is on. There are stops on the right side assembly to not allow for this.

Your spring IS NOT loaded properly and possibly a bad TPS now.

Either way, I would pop off the spring cap, unwind it and then rewind it. I bet after that you'll be good there, it will stay closed all the time. Now if the wrench pops up on the cluster, swing by ford with $100 bucks and get a new TPS...

Best of luck to you.
+1
I installed my BBK throttle body and it started and ran fine until I got caught in traffic and then it wouldnt open. I would floor it and all I would get was idle. Turns out I didnt load the spring correctly.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:58 AM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

Naw, that wasn't it. The spring was loaded right. I did get it to work by disconnecting the battery for a bit and re-setting the computer. The rpm's still stay hanging when I let off the throttle, though. I think it is due to the fact that the gears on this part are made of metal and are heavier than the stock plastic gears, or BBK's plastic gears.

Asides from that, the only way I was able to get the car to respond to the throttle body was by using the stock tune. As soon as I put the tune back in, all kinds of lights would come on in my dash, and the car would start, but no response to the throttle. However, if I just put the ignition to on, and hit the gas pedal, you can see and hear the TB opening all the way to WOT, and back down in a flash. Start the car, and you get nothing.

I know the TP sensor is good, because I put the stock TB in, and no problems.

I am not ready to give up on the TB mod; it works. Just not this one. I'm going to sell it, and buy BBK's version and try my luck with that. I went to a shop, and the dude that works there has every bolt on mod anyone makes for these Stangs, and he ran a 12.80 with an automatic N/A Stang. His TB has been hassle-free since day 1. I saw it in there with my own eyes, so yes, it is possible.......lol.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Mark my words:

I WILL GET THIS TO WORK!!!!!
That is funny. You think you know something everyone else does not?

I am not ready to give up on the TB mod; it works. Just not this one. I'm going to sell it, and buy BBK's version and try my luck with that.
It works? sounds like it does not work. Take the advice given and forget about a TB on the S197. The only one worth buying is the GT500 TB.

Quick Reply: Need some help with a throttle body install....